Suppose your goal is to serve the best campsite espresso at a World Scout Jamboree. You know which beans you will secure, you know which moka pots you will bring, and you have a grinder in mind.

Although for most spontaneous activities, you stock up 2oz Solo Cups (a.k.a., hillbilly demitasse), for extended stays, you'd like something durable, washable, and potentially exchangeable.

There are two occasions at which your family have an opportunity to get you some suitable cups for gifts. The start asking what you'd like, and you have no idea. What do you do?

Get recommendations fr the Scouter forum, of course!

Go!

I love starting the morning with a hot cup of very strong, very black coffee.

For many years, I've packed a small, plastic Melitta cone coffee dripper. They're durable, washable, and even better --- lightweight. A more practical camping coffee solution has never been invented (and at a mere $4, it's about the cheapest "gadget" in my backpack). Easy to use too: Just set it on top of a coffee cup, insert a small paper filter, add fine espresso ground coffee, then pour hot water over the grounds --- voila! A great cuppa joe!

It might not be your fancy, schmancy espresso machine, but for the practical and frugal outdoorsman, it can't be beat!

https://shoponline.melitta.com/product/Pour-Over-1-cup-brew-cone-black/pour-over-coffeemakers 

59 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

... small paper filter ...

It might not be your fancy, schmancy espresso machine, but for the practical and frugal outdoorsman, it can't be beat!

https://shoponline.melitta.com/product/Pour-Over-1-cup-brew-cone-black/pour-over-coffeemakers 

Pot, not machine (https://primulaproducts.com/product/lifestyle/the-flash/aluminum-stovetop-espresso-coffee-maker-1-cup/). And no paper is harmed in expressing flavor from the grounds. There is a weight-trade-off -- especially because you have to jury-rig most burners to fit the smaller pots.

That said, I love a good pour-over. And of course, runnier coffee means more volume, for which standard mugs abound. My fave is REI's durable plastic mug. Others have discussed their favorite 8+ ouncer cups at length in other threads.

But, I'm really aiming for something that replaces the gold-rimmed porcelain cups, saucers, and spoons that I take to summer camp. It's all fine if I can transport it securely in my car. But I doubt they would be treated so gingerly in and out of the hold of a bus.

I had a roommate in college who was from Istanbul.  Here was his "coffee Maker":

Small sauce pan, maybe a quart capacity.  Put in ONE tablespoon ground coffee per cup desired, plus one.

Add one large cup of water per serving desired,  in the pot, plus one.  Add sugar (or not) as you like.   Bring it to a rolling boil for ONE minute. Choice:  If Turkish (!) pour immediately into cups and let grounds settle out.   If American (!), pour thru paper towel in strainer into cups.... 

8 minutes ago, SSScout said:

... Small sauce pan, maybe a quart capacity.  ... 

The standard issue coffee pot from the aluminum patrol mess kits does a great job at this when you forget to brink your moka pot.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, qwazse said:

Pot, not machine (https://primulaproducts.com/product/lifestyle/the-flash/aluminum-stovetop-espresso-coffee-maker-1-cup/). And no paper is harmed in expressing flavor from the grounds. There is a weight-trade-off -- especially because you have to jury-rig most burners to fit the smaller pots.

That said, I love a good pour-over. And of course, runnier coffee means more volume, for which standard mugs abound. My fave is REI's durable plastic mug. Others have discussed their favorite 8+ ouncer cups at length in other threads.

But, I'm really aiming for something that replaces the gold-rimmed porcelain cups, saucers, and spoons that I take to summer camp. It's all fine if I can transport it securely in my car. But I doubt they would be treated so gingerly in and out of the hold of a bus.

This is a copy of the traditional Bialetti moka coffee maker that has been around since 1933.  Personally, I use a french press attachment in my jet boil.  It works great.  

Coffee coming out of the moka pot is typically 2-3 times as concentrated as regular drip coffee. ... Espresso shots are often 5-8 times as concentrated as regular dripcoffee. These shots are very intense, full-bodied, and very flavorful. Similarly tomoka pots, they can easily become bitter if you're not careful.