News from Philmont - Family Camp update

So the news from Philmont is NOW... they are bringing back the Tooth of Time hike option for participants at Philmont Training Center (apparently was an option years back AND) adding this option for the Philmont Family Camp program.  So now you may well encounter families etc in the back country on the Tooth of Time.  Not sure how the stroller will do on the trail up, should be interesting.

Not sure how I feel about that
Edited by Jameson76
  • Sad 1

Why would anyone have an issue with this?  It was restricted due to a number of issues, both related to habitat and more importantly physical concerns.  Since that time, the physical requirements have been modified for participants and they have done major restorative and replacement trail work on the area of the tooth and its main route.  It, being one of the symbols of the ranch, and a visible challenge, I see no problem as long as they have put needed qualifications into place and do not stress the land around it beyond normal recovery.  Granted, I personally climbed the tooth from PTC twice, as well as a couple of other trails that were easily accommodating.  I also trekked across it in 1979 returning to the ranch at the end of a ten-day hike.  If all goes well, I will be there in June, but I will not try the hike, even if they were to allow it, as I am no longer physically qualified, and I realize that.  Like anything, we need to take personal responsibility for what we attempt physically, and I am too old and have had serious issues.  But, I am glad others may again have the opportunity, as it is part of the PTC/Ranch experience and the view is spectacular.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure the hike will be a draw for many PTC attendees.  I've thought about signing up for PTC courses in the past, but didn't because of how difficult it would be to sit in a classroom with Philmont Scout Ranch "right there."  A solid hike to the Tooth and back would be icing on the cake.

7 hours ago, skeptic said:

Why would anyone have an issue with this?  It was restricted due to a number of issues, both related to habitat and more importantly physical concerns.  Since that time, the physical requirements have been modified for participants and they have done major restorative and replacement trail work on the area of the tooth and its main route.  It, being one of the symbols of the ranch, and a visible challenge, I see no problem as long as they have put needed qualifications into place and do not stress the land around it beyond normal recovery.  Granted, I personally climbed the tooth from PTC twice, as well as a couple of other trails that were easily accommodating.  I also trekked across it in 1979 returning to the ranch at the end of a ten-day hike.  If all goes well, I will be there in June, but I will not try the hike, even if they were to allow it, as I am no longer physically qualified, and I realize that.  Like anything, we need to take personal responsibility for what we attempt physically, and I am too old and have had serious issues.  But, I am glad others may again have the opportunity, as it is part of the PTC/Ranch experience and the view is spectacular.

I guess it's a way to promote and upsell.  Would be disappointing to be on day 8 of your trek and have to work around the families from PTC on their day hike.  Sort of diminishes the back country feel

• Upvote 2