Saluting vs. Hand-Over-Heart

This question came up during our recent Cub Scout Day Camp.

During the flag raising and lowering, the Scout leading the ceremonies would say "Scout Salute". Many of the boys were not in uniform, but rather wearing a mixture of t-shirts and shorts (the camp guide stated the a uniforms were not required). That lead to the question of when to salute and when to place hand over heart.

After reading the Flag Code and some posts here, my guess: You salute when in uniform, whether the formal uniform or a "field" uniform, such as a Pack or Troop t-shirt (I think the first might be called class A and the other called class B??), BUT that you should place hand over heart when wearing street clothes.

Is that correct?

Kenk

A more accurate call would be "hand salute". Both the hand over the heart and the Scout saluter are hand salutes.

You are correct that when in uniform the use of the Scout Salute is appropriate and out of uniform the hand over the heart salute is appropriate. Where you need fine tuning is on the uniforms.

Adults and Boy Scouts have two uniforms. The field uniform is the tan shirt, green Scout pants or shorts, Scout belt, Scout socks, Hat and neckerchief optional.

The Activity uniform is A scout t-shirt or polo shirt, Green Scout pants or shorts, Scout belt Scout socks.

The Cub Uniform is the Blue uniform shirt, Blue Cub uniform pants or shorts, Cub belt, Cub socks, Rank hat, rank neckerchief.

There is no cub activity uniform at this time. As of August 1, Tigers will have an activity uniform or the Orange shirt or sweatshirt, Cub uniform pants or shorts, Cub belt, Cub socks.

The BSA does not recognize or use the terms Class A or Class B.

I hope this helps,

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

While there are discussions on what is an appropriate scout uniform and also with the fact that National does not recognize 'Class A and Class B' nomenclature, teaching Scouts to respect the flag and what it stands for is important.

I would much rather have a scout salute with pride and have the personal recognition that he is saluting because he is a Scout, no matter what is a correct uniform, than have one ignore the responsibility or stand there unsure about their clothing.

Some years back at a parade where our Scouts were in some sort of uniform (at least close enough). We were on the sidewalk and as the flag and color guard passed I called the scouts to attention and called for hand salute. All did and the comments from other bystanders were all positive and thankful for having such good young men in scouting. The boys were very embarressed to have their hands shook by people in the crowd and thanked for what they had done. But you could see the pride in their eyes.

Teach the reasons and worry about the details later.

True returns.

yis