ECOH Ideas/Tips/Suggestions

2 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I’m looking for any tips, suggestions, etc for my upcoming Eagle Court if Honor in June.

If anyone has any advice please post it!

You've been in Scouts long enough to have seen Courts of Honor with elements you didn't like, or that took too long, or that were boring. Don't do those things.

You've also probably seen events that were fun, that kept things moving, and that everyone enjoyed. Make it like those events. 

If you're planning it, it's your show.  Let a little swagger show in your step as you reap the rewards of a long journey. Then turn around and work to help others enjoy their own journey. Congratulations. 

Edited by LVAllen
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations. 

Your call, but I can tell you what I like to hear at a ECOH. I like the Eagle to tell me the trail forward. Tell your audience about your life plans, schooling,  your budding medical career - doing your best,  doing your duty, helping other people,...

My $0.02,

• Thanks 1

Remember that in many ways the EBOR is a way to thank the unit, the unit leaders, and others who have helped.  Yes it is about the Scout, but also about those that helped

Edited by Jameson76

It can be as formal as you want, it can be as informal as you want. One of the best I know of was a cookout by a couple Eagles. They manned the grill, talked to everyone, and took a few minutes for the Eagle charge. 

Thank the people who helped you, and have a great time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, John-in-KC said:

It can be as formal as you want, it can be as informal as you want. One of the best I know of was a cookout by a couple Eagles. They manned the grill, talked to everyone, and took a few minutes for the Eagle charge. 

Thank the people who helped you, and have a great time. 

That actually is a great idea.

My Troop has a typical ceremony that each Eagle is free to use or not. Most keep it fairly short. Maybe 10-20 minutes. I just attended one of my NYLT staff members Eagle Court of Honor. He had an open mic segment where his friends from his troop took turns roasting him and telling funny stories in which he was a part of. I'd never seen before and there would be no way 18 year old me would have let my friends had open reign to say whatever they wanted to about me to that audience. 

At the end of the day, it's up to you, your family and your troop to put it on. There's also nothing wrong with having your Eagle presented at a Troop Court of Honor, pining the parents pin on your parents, getting your Eagle medal pinned on you, and calling it a day. 

• Like 1

Aside from my son's own (another time), the best/most memorable ECoH was done thusly:

Two brothers,  each earned and passed the EBoR separately, but the earlier waited for his brother.  The Troop had camped on the back acreage of these Scouts' grandparents farm. They had their ECoH back there.  Folks had to park and walk in about 500 yards, bring their own camp chair.  The Patrol/Troop cooked camp food, and served it up back there after the "official" ceremony and pinning the Eagle and speeches etc. , all done out in the woods next to a campfire. 

When the festivities were done, the crowd departed, the Scouts , nascent Eagles and buds, stayed and camped one last time..... 

ItsBrian, don't forget the cole slaw with your BBQ....