Hello, I would like to apply for Adult Membership, Merit Badge Councilor, Assistant Scout Master & Nova Councilor positions.

Do I need to fill separate applications for each positions or anyway to combine them into one application?

I have completed all the required training and YPT.

Thank you very much.

I don't know the answer, but I will give a hint in case you need to fill out multiple applications.

I got so tired of trying to write cramped information in the tiny background section that I downloaded an official PDF of the application, filled it in on my computer, and saved a copy. Now whenever I need a renewal or transfer or whatever I can just edit it a little to suit and print another copy.

A separate application is required for each. I don't know about Nova Counselor things, but probably the best thing to start with is the ASM application with a follow up with the MBC and Nova applications after the ASM application is approved. Each application triggers a background check so they can be done all at once, but I've always counseled doing the first one separate. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with @Buggie, the ASM requires more hours of training, so get that started first. In the Introduction to Outdoor Leaders Skills courses, you'll be able to meet district volunteers who can help you get up to speed with those other positions. Plus, as you attend district round-tables you can ask any specific questions that come up. Knowing those folks can help you get your applications and any other fine-print paperwork out of the way. Plus it can open up doors for you to be able to help lots of other scouts.

They do require separate applications.  The Chartered Org. Rep. approves unit adult positions.  Your council or district approve the MBC and Nova Counselor positions.  In order to be a Nova Counselor, you must be age 21 or older.

I second @Liz's advice to download the form to your computer to save on hand cramp!

15 hours ago, Samuel said:

Hello, I would like to apply for Adult Membership, Merit Badge Councilor, Assistant Scout Master & Nova Councilor positions.

Do I need to fill separate applications for each positions or anyway to combine them into one application?

I have completed all the required training and YPT.

Thank you very much.

At least in my Council, merit badge Councilor and Assistant Scout Master require separate applications. Not sure why you would need a separate adult membership, if you're an MBC and an ASM.  

1 hour ago, perdidochas said:

At least in my Council, merit badge Councilor and Assistant Scout Master require separate applications. Not sure why you would need a separate adult membership, if you're an MBC and an ASM.  

MBC is a district position, while ASM is a unit position. Approved by different people

Nova Counselor and Mentor each require a separate application (I don't remember the codes). They used to require separate training as well, particularly for Mentor. Mentor has some additional requirements based on field of knowledge and for Gold (Venturing) it requires that the Mentor be approved for a specific scout and project.  

My understanding of why the separate applications for each position is that once upon a time Scouters would register for one position and later found out they were registered for other positions they didn't even know about. Not sure how accurate that is, it may be an urban myth, but it did come from a professional, so I pay it some credence. 

@Samuel  Go with what some other forum members have suggested. Get everything worked out to complete what you need for the ASM position. That is a very critical need for your unit and will be the foundation for anything else you will do as a Scouter.  Once that is all in place, applying for the other positions will be an easy road. 

Thank you for your willingness to serve Scouting!

On 4/3/2019 at 8:42 PM, HelpfulTracks said:

Nova Counselor and Mentor each require a separate application (I don't remember the codes). They used to require separate training as well, particularly for Mentor. Mentor has some additional requirements based on field of knowledge and for Gold (Venturing) it requires that the Mentor be approved for a specific scout and project.  

Position Codes:

• 58 for Nova Counselor
  • 52 for Supernova Mentor

Training has been updated in the past year, so even if you've done Nova/Supernova training in the past, it's worthwhile doing the new online course as a refresher. Also, there are quite a few new Nova awards at the Cub, Scout, and Venturer level, so even scouters with quite a bit of Nova program experience would do well to check in on scouting.org to familiarize themselves with the new awards (some of which are quite interesting and will provide some good opportunities to explore new STEM topics).

Note also that Supernova Mentors and Merit Badge Counselors need to fill out an additional form in addition to the Adult Application. These forms specify which specific awards you want to counsel and ask for some brief info on what your qualiifications are for that award.

I definitely agree with the suggestion to keep copies of the Adult Application, as well as your Merit Badge and Supernova Information forms. In our District, there is a long tradition of the District Advancement Committee sitting on these forms, failing to act, failing to communicate approvals/disapprovals, and ultimately, requesting the forms to be re-completed or pretending that the forms never existed. Having the copies handy can save lots of time.