Great Examples of Girl Troop Successes

Our 25-girl Troop had an enjoyable Saturday hiking in Rock Creek Park in DC.  The three patrols split up and practiced their map reading and compass skills, at trail lunches together and finished their fire building advancement requirements is a patrol competition.  Our advancement co-chairs are enjoying our unusual “all-beginner” Scout membership by assuring our meeting and events are getting the girls through Scout and Tenderfoot requirements before summer camp.  Please share simple things working with girl units you are aware of.

• Like 2
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Barry: My effort is to create a positive, encouraging thread that highlights positive program activities about all-girl troops.  Under the rules of this blog it is proper that off-topic postings

I am getting ready to pass out Scout rank pins and cards tomorrow during our regular Saturday meeting.  13 of our 25 girls have earned them, and I expect the balance to so so in a week or two.  We mig

We conducted a parent meeting yesterday for our girl troop regarding going to our council summer camp.  I needed to spend time explaining the basics because girl parents are used to the standard “slee

This is our nearest troop.  Our Venture Crew (all girl) shares a CO and meeting location, so on the one night a month the crew meets and the scouts are there, we tend to peek our heads in and see what's up.  The troop is continuing to have girls sign up, with a reported two additional in March.  I think they're over 20 now, but would have to double-check on that.

In any case, they sure put 100% effort into the Klondike, with a few of the older scouts training ahead of time, even though the charter wasn't official yet.

https://rennamedia.com/new-bsa-troop-280-places-high-in-regional-race/

Edited by swilliams
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

These San Fernando Valley girls topped their competition in Boy Scout survival skills contest

In an ‘unprecedented’ exhibition of survival skills, Troop 88 — a new all-girls entrant into the now inclusive Boy Scouts — used tenacity, smarts, cool and teamwork to top the field, mostly boys.

The goal was to make history in an endurance-skill competition and beat 20 other patrols primarily comprised of all-boy teams already experienced in scouting skills. They rose to the occasion, topping numnerous categories in what officials called “unprecedented” fashion.

“When it came time to hand out the overall awards for the Camporee and all of the points across the competition were tallied, the girls of Troop 88 were stunned to learn that they had tied for first place and had won the Presidential Award for the entire Camporee. It was unprecedented,” Andruscavage said.

Andruscavage added that the most coveted recognition, the troop with the best scout spirit, also went to Troop 88.

Calli admitted during the Camporee competition her peers didn’t know if they knew enough or practiced enough to succeed because they hadn’t been at it very long like a majority of their competitors.

https://www.dailynews.com/2019/03/29/these-san-fernando-valley-girls-topped-their-competition-in-boy-scout-survival-skills-contest/

• Thanks 1

19 of our girls spent this weekend doing the Horsemanship merit badge at a local stable.  This was our very first outing, and a huge success!  The girls did a great job, considering that they're all Scout rank.  It's definitely a unique challenge not to have more experienced scouts to pass along scouting skills and such.  They had a lot of fun and are starting to gel as a Troop and as patrols.  So excited to be a part of this.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The horsemanship merit badge idea is really a great example of something that will particularly appeal to girl troops.  Some council camps have horse programs.  We are going to arrange a special week of horse activities at a council camp, and expect it will be quite popular.

• Like 1

I am getting ready to pass out Scout rank pins and cards tomorrow during our regular Saturday meeting.  13 of our 25 girls have earned them, and I expect the balance to so so in a week or two.  We might have some Tenderfoot ranks to award before our COH in early June.  Our Scouts BSA girl members are taking to the program as-is, and having a lot of fun along the way.  We are having so many sign-offs from our 6 ASMs that I needed to have help to get the Scoutmaster conferences done.  There will be a lot of happy girls around DC tomorrow.

On the issue of tents, we have decided to go with 2-person tents for our group to better-manage the YPT issues.  We are borrowing tents for the moment from a very helpful all-boy troop, so we will not actually buy our tents until we camp in Shenandoah National Park this September.  Things are indeed going very well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

We conducted a parent meeting yesterday for our girl troop regarding going to our council summer camp.  I needed to spend time explaining the basics because girl parents are used to the standard “sleep away” and GSUSA camps that operate differently.  They were thrilled with the focus on skills acquisition and merit badge advancement.  And, the concept of the entire troop attending together was fresh to them, as they were used to sending their girls as individuals to camp.  Our council has done a great job by including girls in the camp promotional materials.  We have just begun our sign-ups and have 8 of 25 members after just a week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Dear SSF:

This thread is focused on examples of positive activities and outcomes of girl troops.  There are plenty of other threads where you can engage in advocacy against girl troops.  Because you have decided to leave the BSA, I wish you good luck in finding different civic activities and organizations better calculated to your preferences.

• Thanks 1

Cburkhardt, since you are using a passive-aggression to promote your opinion of the new scouting program, tell us more about yourself. Your past scouting experiences and your future experience goals. Are you a father, mother, grandparent?

Barry

• Downvote 2
On 3/29/2019 at 8:37 PM, Cburkhardt said:

... Our advancement co-chairs are enjoying our unusual “all-beginner” Scout membership by assuring our meeting and events are getting the girls through Scout and Tenderfoot requirements before summer camp.  Please share simple things working with girl units you are aware of.

I get the unusual nature of a typical girl troop not having the older scouts to lean on for teaching scout skills. In those situations I would think the adults have to take on more of the responsibility. And in that scenario, I hope adults are getting trained and ready to teach those skills through something like IOLS.

I wouldn't worry much about getting it done before summer camp. If it happens, great. If not, summer camp can actually be a great place to work on tenderfoot (and other rank) requirements. Some camps have programs designed specifically to help with this.

Firestone,

Your thoughts are spot-on.  The girls are pretty focused on advancement, so I am anticipating most at Scout Rank and a few Tenderfoot ranks before we get to summer camp.  I join you in strongly encouraging use of the “new camper” programs at council camps to help kick-start things.

8 minutes ago, Cburkhardt said:

Barry:

My effort is to create a positive, encouraging thread that highlights positive program activities about all-girl troops.  Under the rules of this blog it is proper that off-topic postings are removed from a focused thread, and that is what happened here (and not at my request).  Nothing aggressive about that.  I look for the better side of people, like the overwhelming majority of bloggers here.

My scouting bio includes AOL, Eagle, sea Scout QM, camp staff, vigil, unit leader, district Chair, Council President and Area President.  Now I am focusing only on being a Scoutmaster.  I have a child in our program, as do my three Eagle brothers.

i fully support that the BSA is fully welcoming and my personal engagement has shown me that the decision on girls was the right one.

Thank you. 

Your experience was impressive and expected.

I am a firm believer that even in the faceless world of forums, posters can set the tone (role model so to speak) of a discussion with only a few words.

I look forward to watching your productive discussion. 

Barry