I will also be a 1st year staff at a camp on huntington lake, though it'll be the one across the lake for me (and no cabins for us). Was wondering if there is any scout-camp specific advice I could get from any of you. I have worked a couple of other summer camps but, being female, did not grow up in scouting (hated girl scouts and unfortunately didn't learn about venturing until my senior year of high school). I have lots of family who did but they are all much older generation. I am trying to learn as much about the bsa as I can/should know for the summer and would welcome any advice. I will be on climbing staff btw.

• Upvote 1

@chief027  You are getting a lot of good advice on the what/what not to bring stuff. And you will learn more about that with experience specific to your camp and accomodations.

In my opinion you are working in a super fun and super important position on the waterfront. Your full attention will be required at all times, and it may sometimes get a bit tedious. An added bonus is that you should end up with a fairly nice suntan.  We called the guys that worked the pool and lakefront at my camp, "bronze gods."😂

Every Scout that attends your camp will be at your program area at some point or another. You have the best opportunity in the whole place to influence and inspire the younger Scouts who will be looking up to you.  Devote yourself to that opportunity!  

One of the coolest things from my experience on the camp staff in my area was that I made many lifelong friends. Guys I met and served with on staff for 6 years are still my trusted buddies to this day (and that staff time was 40 years ago).  Most of us returned to the same camp with our kids and served as unit leaders. Many of us still volunteer a bunch of time to help the camp during season and off-season in a variety of roles.

Your time on camp staff will greatly equip you for future non-scouting jobs, and will also form a solid foundation for any future duties you may take on as a Scouter or volunteer in another organization.

Have a great summer!!

Edited by WAKWIB
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
On 3/28/2019 at 11:43 PM, nspdx said:

I will also be a 1st year staff at a camp on huntington lake, though it'll be the one across the lake for me (and no cabins for us). Was wondering if there is any scout-camp specific advice I could get from any of you. I have worked a couple of other summer camps but, being female, did not grow up in scouting (hated girl scouts and unfortunately didn't learn about venturing until my senior year of high school). I have lots of family who did but they are all much older generation. I am trying to learn as much about the bsa as I can/should know for the summer and would welcome any advice. I will be on climbing staff btw.

@nspdxAre you at Oljato? As for Scout camp advice, the Boy Scouts has lots of rules and policies at first you will not understand the acronyms YPT-Yourh Protection Training, G2SS- Guide to Safe Scouting, etc. which when people spurt out 10 in one sentence it makes it sound like a foreign language, but you’ll learn. One scour spefic thing is tradition of scout camp has its own traditions and all run similar programs, I recommend looking at summer camps leaders guides as they give you some insight into how it’s run. One important thinks with scout camps is to have fun you don’t get paid a lot but it is worth it. Just curious what program area are you in?

Edited by chief027
26 minutes ago, chief027 said:

@nspdxAre you at Oljato? As for Scout camp advice, the Boy Scouts has lots of rules and policies at first you will not understand the acronyms YPT-Yourh Protection Training, G2SS- Guide to Safe Scouting, etc. which when people spurt out 10 in one sentence it makes it sound like a foreign language, but you’ll learn. One scour spefic thing is tradition of scout camp has its own traditions and all run similar programs, I recommend looking at summer camps leaders guides as they give you some insight into how it’s run. One important thinks with scout camps is to have fun you don’t get paid a lot but it is worth it. Just curious what program area are you in?

Yep, I’ll be at oljato. Program area, I’m climbing staff. And yeah, pretty much no summer camps pay well, but it’s a lot more fun and a lot more fulfilling than lots of other summer jobs! I’ve already gotten my  YPT, guide to safe scouting, weather hazards and such training done so I’m familiar with it at least. Definitely looking forward to the summer!

18 hours ago, nspdx said:

Program area, I’m climbing staff. 

Get an REI membership and get yourself a harness. BEST INVESTMENT EVER! The dividend from the harness paid for the membership. While the harness is long gone, I still use my REI membership. And that harness I bought was super comfortable and had gear racks. Unlike the one size fits most harnesses the camp provided. Used that harness for several years.

A good pair of gloves would be good to.

Also one of those Froggs Toggs chilling bandanas, or something like it are awesome. I used a wet bandana back in the day to protect my neck and cool me off. Attached it inside my helmet and let it hang down the back. of my neck. When I was working CS day camp, wife got me a Froggs Toggs chiling bandana, and it was awesome.

At the first camp I did climbing and rappelling at,  one guy would bring up binoculars. Between classes, he would scan out over the horizon from top of the tower. That was at the former Kingsdown Scout Campsite in Kent, UK. On a good day you could see Calais France. EDITED Camp was on top of the White Cliffs of Dover.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
31 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Get an REI membership and get yourself a harness. BEST INVESTMENT EVER! The dividend from the harness paid for the membership. While the harness is long gone, I still use my REI membership. And that harness I bought was super comfortable and had gear racks. Unlike the one size fits most harnesses the camp provided. Used that harness for several years.

A good pair of gloves would be good to.

Also one of those Froggs Toggs chilling bandanas, or something like it are awesome. I used a wet bandana back in the day to protect my neck and cool me off. Attached it inside my helmet and let it hang down the back. of my neck. When I was working CS day camp, wife got me a Froggs Toggs chiling bandana, and it was awesome.

At the first camp I did climbing and rappelling at,  one guy would bring up binoculars. Between classes, he would scan out over the horizon from top of the tower. That was at the former Kingsdown Scout Campsite in Kent, UK. On a good day you could see Calais France.

I'm fairly well set gear wise but I'll definitely be heading to REI to get a backup harness–worked a climbing wall last summer and had my harness stolen, a week of using the one-size-fits-all harnesses convinced me to always have a backup! I'll try a pair of gloves, never been a fan of them while rappelling before but I'm guessing they'll be worth it for the amount I'll be doing!

Definitely planning on investing in a good pair of binoculars too. One of the guys I climb with always brings his–I'm usually up in the rockies in Colorado, and the view from up there is pretty incredible! Though probably not quite as good as being able to see France.

Thanks for the tips!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're working at camp, then your tent is your home for several weeks. Make it your own!

I would get something fun that makes your friends chuckle appreciatively at your sublime wit.

When I was in scouts, one of my friends had a slightly twisted creative mindset. He showed up at camp with a doormat emblazoned with the Hertz rent-a-car logo. Why?  Who knows, but he was definitely the only kid with anything like it. I still laugh at the memory and remember that guy with a warm scout salute...

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, chief027 said:

Thank you guys for all the advice. I leave for camp tomorrow, hope everything helps. I’ll add suggestion for others as the summer progressss

Good luck! Don’t over stress it.  You might do bad week one, but don’t forget it’s your first week ever doing it. You still have plenty more weeks to do great. Hah, I was bad week one trying to figure out everything. You’ll make mistakes, but don’t let it hold you down. I don’t mean to sound mean, but this is more of encouragement from my personal experience.

Edited by ItsBrian