Ugly merit badge sashes...

I know it's allowed, but some scouts have some seriously UGLY merit badge sashes because they tack on a variety of temporary patches on the backs of their sashes. Some don't even try to do it neatly. They put them on sideways if the patch is large, they sew on non-BSA patches, and they have inconsistent placement. From the back, a line of scouts looks like a posse of rodeo clowns. 

I know it's allowed, but boy, oh boy, some boys sure can put the UGH into UGLY!  

Putting temporary badges on the back of the sash is per BSA uniforming guide.  Page 11, "Excess Insignia" ... "Scouts may wear only temporary patches (no badges of rank) on the back of the merit badge sash."

I know scouters can posture on many different issues, but this is really one that we should celebrate and not ridicule.  There are way worse uniforming creations than what is worn on the back of the sash.  I have my hot button ones too, but our role is to celebrate the scouts and not look down on them.

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1

Consider yourself lucky. Scouts around here (and I've seen a lot of them) don't put anything but the MBs they've earned on their sashes. I've tried to encourage them to do otherwise, and they look at me as if I'm some kind of alien. Full disclosure: I've never put anything besides MBs on my sash. But, I thought that would inspire my sons to be different. No such luck.

At least your rodeo clowns are proud of all the places they've been!

Wasn't allowed when I was a scout (I will hit 55 years in November), although I would much rather see them on the back of a MB sash (neatly) than see someone with 6 or 7 temporary patches all dangling from the button on their right pocket.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm generally more concerned about their field uniform shirt having appropriate patch placement than their sash.  I don't know why my brain does it, but I just naturally begin to scan photos on scouting social media pages, Boys Life, Scouter magazine, NESA magazine, etc. and my eye always gets drawn to the person who doesn't have the purple World Crest, and then the person who has 4 patches dangling of the pocket button.  I don't like to be the uniform police, but just general following of the insignia guidelines to me fall into the "a Scout is clean" category.

Nothing wrong with a boy being proud of what he's done and wanting to show off his bling.  I'm just saying there are better ways to do it.

Those kids with their bright red wool brag vests covered in patches sure do look SHARP when they're wearing that vest around the campfire

Taking the uniformity out of uniforms isn't a positive. You get a uniform that's a tacky self-storage bin for temporary patches and it's really nothing to be proud of.

If MikeS72 can show his age, I can too, because I'm close to his age, and remain VERY proud of the fact that our merit badge sashes never had ticky tacky garbage on them. They reflected merit and our uniforms looked SHARP (well, except for the ugly red berets....but I'll save that rant for another day and another cup of espresso.)

36 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

Wasn't allowed when I was a scout (I will hit 55 years in November), although I would much rather see them on the back of a MB sash (neatly) than see someone with 6 or 7 temporary patches all dangling from the button on their right pocket.

Same for me. Back then I had these 2 sashes. I kept thinking why not one sash. The front for mb's, the back for OA.

1 hour ago, mrkstvns said:

They reflected merit and our uniforms looked SHARP (well, except for the ugly red berets....but I'll save that rant for another day and another cup of espresso.)

Hey now, I loved the red beret & still have one that I occasionally wear with my 70's green uniform.

• Upvote 1