Vintage Uniform Question

Hi, I have my dad’s full 1960s collarless uniform, with the knee high socks and garters and such. It currently has the set up for a youth. I am now an adult leader and want to update it accurately to the 1960s insignia. Does anyone have a period guide or know what the patches looked like and where they went? I kind of have an idea but I can’t find anything on if there were eagle knots or if they wore the eagle patch and such. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

There are a few of us here who were scouts in the 60s or even 50s.   I joined up in '69 but the big uniform change was in '72 or '73.  Something about Oscar de la somethingorother.    

I don't think I have a Guide to Insignia anymore, but I do have the handbooks.     Yes, Knots were worn by adults they were a different colored background than todays versions.    The eagle as I recall was a toss up.  A lot of adults still wore their Eagle badge, I saw a few from the 40's that were square rather than oval,  it was not correct by the strict rules but I never heard of any of the Patch Police having the nerve to call them on it.   A lot of our Scoutmasters had spent a few years  as grunts, shooting at Nazis in France and Germany, or fighting their way across the Pacific.    They didn't put up with much parade ground fluff.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

There are a few of us here who were scouts in the 60s or even 50s.   I joined up in '69 but the big uniform change was in '72 or '73.  Something about Oscar de la somethingorother.    

Oscar D was about 1980 or so

39 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

So help me out here, did we not change to the red berets and multi colored rank patches in '72?    

Second class was green, first class red, star was blue.  I forget the rest.

Yes indeed, red berets and the colorful rank and patrol patches started circa 72.

The pants, shirts and shorts were simplified in design and made of lighter materials.  A couple washings and they were like pajamas.

Then the Oscar D uniforms appeared in 80.  I think they were a moderate improvement over the 72 - 79 era.  Except Oscar introduced those abominable epaulets, a completely unnecessary contrivance for scout uniforms. 

Edited by desertrat77
  • Thanks 2
On 3/23/2019 at 9:18 PM, CaptBurgers said:

Hi, I have my dad’s full 1960s collarless uniform, with the knee high socks and garters and such. It currently has the set up for a youth. I am now an adult leader and want to update it accurately to the 1960s insignia. Does anyone have a period guide or know what the patches looked like and where they went? I kind of have an idea but I can’t find anything on if there were eagle knots or if they wore the eagle patch and such. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you are looking for period insignia, check out this site, they have scouting patches and memorabilia  going back as much as a hundred years.

https://www.scoutstuff4sale.com/

Epaulets, correctly understood (as BSA does not) eliminate most sewn-on patches, replaced by loop=on or snap on insignia/patrol colors.  Last time i checked, in Oz they had one sewn-on patch - the district (as we used to say before "council") patch.  

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

Epaulets, correctly understood (as BSA does not) eliminate most sewn-on patches, replaced by loop=on or snap on insignia/patrol colors.  Last time i checked, in Oz they had one sewn-on patch - the district (as we used to say before "council") patch.  

Very true.  Unit/district/council/National distinctions via shoulder loops is nothing but foppery.  Uniforms might cost a tad less without them.

7 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

Very true.  Unit/district/council/National distinctions via shoulder loops is nothing but foppery.  Uniforms might cost a tad less without them.

$4.49 for shoulder loops is a bit much.  

About the only time I have told anyone to pay attention to the color of the loops on my shirt is when representing the district at a cub school night, and then only to tell parents that if they have questions specific to the unit, see the folks with the blue loops, if they have a question that the pack leadership cannot answer, look for one of us with the silver loops.