Bob White wrote: "I believe the vast majority of BSA problems could be solved by Charter Organizations taking their responsibility to select responsible leaders more seriously."

Bob, this seems to be your reoccurring thyme for all the problems of scouting. I find it difficult to believe that all the problems in scouting are related to the first line of volunteers running the programs. Councils, programs and charter organization all have a share in the responsibility to create and run a quality organization. Selecting better "volunteers" is at least an oxymoron and at best pipe dream. Councils, programs and charter organization must adjust and build with the resources they have. Too often you cite this one thyme and find no fault with other parts of the organization.

If I were to tweak scouting I would design programs to better build the bond among the boys and their families. I would also update the uniforms to better pattern them towards the activities most associated with scouting, outdoors and fun. The uniforms should underscore the relationship scouting has with the outdoor. Maybe many years ago the uniform struck a cord with outdoors but the association is now lost. The military uniform is more associated with our current uniforms. Also the uniforms look too formal to wear for crafts and to get dirty. If the uniforms looked more like a modern outdoor hiker (use market research and focus group results) I think it would better lead to the conclusion that scouting is outdoors and fun.

PS: One can easily understand why today's mothers would be reluctant to sign their 8 year old boy up to organization that looks as though it is preparing young boys for military service.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a High Adventure Store here in WY.....and I have decided to start my own version of scouting. I think the BSA has gotten stagnant. Our uniforms are in the works. Patagonia has decided to get in and help us. Cargo Pants with Puckerware shirts (Class A) Instead of a Scout Oath and Law we are going to be more like a fraternity with skill courses. We will be based on code rather than law or oath. Each member will have to bring a role to their crew. We are only in the beginning stages. My son works with me here at the store and he has lots of friends interested. Any ideas on a name? Anyone interested in a news letter? contact me at stjarna321@hotmail.com.(This message has been edited by The Dude)

"We keep talking about sports uniforms, but I was a coach for 12 years and I can tell you if the uniform didnt look in style or have the right colors, we still had the same problems of boys hating it and not wearing it properly. All the same problems, just in a different arena."

There's a difference in that in Sports you don't hear parents saying, "I'm not going to buy the uniform."

"I respectfully disagree FOG. Parents are no different in sports than they are in Scouts. If anything, they are worse."

How many refuse to buy part of the uniform for a sports team? Where the mandate comes from is irrelevant.

My neighbor's daughter is a "cheerleader" and started at age five which is about six years ago. Mom grumbled, as did many of the moms, about having to shell out $75 for a team jacket which lasts about two years. However, no one said, "I'm not buying that jacket." The jacket can't even be handed down because the girl's name is embroidered on it.

"Who do you think picks out the uniform for your local organizations?"

For the sports leagues, there is a very small and select group of folks that make decisions like that. There might be a thousand kids involved in the baseball league but the league is controlled by about 20 adults.

If one of the parents of a golfer didn't like the new uniform, would he have said, "Don't like it, not buying it"? Don't think so.

Ya know, if the activity really appeals to the kid, he will wear a coconut bra and a grass skirt, I know because I have pictures...

ok ok ok, all lurid thoughts aside, it was a Council Venturing acivity with a Luau theme, that YoungSpikedEagle kid is a stitch, I don't know where he gets it from...

The point is, he didnt care in that setting because it was what he wanted to do at the time. If scouting is run so that it presents activities that kids want to do, the uniform becomes secondary, wait, where have I heard this before?

OK, I understand this is just a difference of opinioin. I will present one last point of view, then leave it alone.

>>There's a difference in that in Sports you don't hear parents saying, "I'm not going to buy the uniform.">If scouting is run so that it presents activities that kids want to do, the uniform becomes secondary