Solutions to letters falling off?

What's your favorite solution for this? 

I'd love to replace with the new BSA logo embroidered on the shirt or something, although I can also pull the embroidered patch off an unused uniform and sew that over. But that leaves me with an unused uniform that can't really be re-gifted to another Scout or Scouter, so it's not my favorite solution. 

Just looking for some ideas. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a couple of shirts that look like this. 

In case it matters, this is the shirt I'm planning to graduate my daughter to when she crosses over to Webelos in a few months. 

ScoutShirt.JPG

Yep.  Failure to Communicate (in glue).  I have been told that if you return  it to the local Scoutshop, they will replace it with a new shirt.  I've not tried this, as my shirts are all old enough to have sewn on "BSA " patches...  

Another possibility::  at our local shopping mall, there is a custom embroidery shop.  I have often been tempted to go there and have'm  embroider some Scout stuff on a heavy green shirt I have...   If the Scoutshop won't exchange, you might consider that. 

I actually bought these shirts off eBay knowing full well that they would have this problem... at a deep discount. It would not be honest and trustworthy for me to take it for exchange. The whole reason I own the shirt is because I was trying to be thrifty. :) 

I do have a couple of spare adult uniform shirts I could take the embroidered patch off of and sew onto these shirts. That was my original plan. I just hate to sacrifice perfectly good uniform shirts that someone else might want, if there's another good solution. 

I like @scotteg83's suggestion if the strips are still available. If they aren't ...

I met one troop who had really sharp embroidered name name tags. They sacrificed one shirt for a seamstress to use for material to make the tags. This made the background an exact match to the shirts! Doing something similar for these letters sounds like a good idea. You could talk to your seamstress if it's worth the trouble to try and lift as many letters as you can salvage so that she can sew/glue them on the material from your sacrificed shirt, or if it's just as well to embroider new patches or just sew them onto the shirts directly.

There are probably other modern solutions like digital-to-cloth printing/transfer, but I'm not sure they would be cost-effective.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

it used to be that if you contacted national supply, they would mail you a strip to sew over

Would that be through scoutstuff.org? 

The Scout shop is mailing me some patches to sew over the missing letters. This seems like it's definitely the easiest solution and doesn't require replacing the whole shirt  or sacrificing another perfectly good shirt for the fabric. 

I actually have a friend with an embroidery machine who would have made the patches for me if they were no longer available, but I'm glad they are available. 

Due to the placement of the new logo on the new style uniforms, I don't see replacing the old logo with the new one as feasible, unless there is some way to get all the red residue from the old letters off. 

This was recently discussed on a forum on Facebook, and someone from the Supply Division on there said that if you contact them (I believe at the 800 number) they will mail you patch strips for free as replacements for as many shirts as you need them for. The patch strips have embroidered lettering instead of the iron-on type they had on these.

I had this and several other issues with the centennial uniform.  I did returns and received new only to have similar issues.  It really killed my excitement for uniforming sharpness.  It's hard to be enthused to show a quality uniform when the source doesn't provide a quality product.  

• 1 month later...