Webelos - Participation as Den After the Cross Over

When the Webelos cross over to Boys scouts troop from Cubs Scout Pack,

1. Still the crossed over, Webelos Den participate in  Pack Activities.   

2. If the pack conducts pack paid fun activities, is that could be leveraged to crossed over Webelos since they are already part of the troop ?

Response is highly appreciated. 

I think the only real "rule" is that once they are registered with a troop, they can't go back and work on Cub Scout advancement.

If you're talking about the scenario of "crossover was in February, can they still participate in our pack's Pinewood Derby in March"--that's up to the pack leadership to decide.

• Upvote 1

It's not about whose activities the scouts can participate, it's about getting credit for participation. What I mean is that as far as District/council/National are concerned, the youth is a member of whatever the computer says the scout is registered. So, if the troop is willing to let the Webelos participate with the Patrol a few weeks while still registered as Webelos, that is fine. If the Pack is ok with the New Scouts participating with Pack activities while registered in the Troop, nobody is going to say otherwise. But, a new scout in the troop can't earn Cub awards and the Cubs can't earn any Troop awards. The only place I have seen anyone get upset about this is when the future Troop leader wants the Webelos to participate in the District MB College to get a head start on earning badges. If the Webelos want to register with the troop to start working toward Boy Scout recognition, those Webelos need to be warned that they can't earn anymore Cub awards. I have seen scouts miss out the Arrow of Light because the adults didn't understand the system.

Barry

24 minutes ago, PackALder said:

If a pack conducts a fun activity as say Laser Tag event,  Is the crossed over den could participate with pack and pack need to pay for that?

Sadly, unless they are shooting at targets, it is not allowed.

Unauthorized and Restricted Activities

Q. Is laser tag an approved activity?
A.
 Scout units may plan or participate in paintball, laser tag, or similar events where participants shoot at targets that are neither living nor human representations. Please review additional information located in the Unauthorized and Restricted Activities section of the Guide to Safe Scouting.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
27 minutes ago, PackALder said:

If a pack conducts a fun activity as say Laser Tag event,  Is the crossed over den could participate with pack and pack need to pay for that?

There are no standard policies for those things, so they are usually left up to unit leaders. Generally, the unit doesn't pay for scouts not registered with them, but if say the families gave money for those events when their son was registered with them, I could see some expectations.

Barry

When I was leading the Pack, we never had a problem with recently crossed-over Webelos continuing to participate in Pack activities.  As mentioned, they wouldn't earn any award for anything, but many have spent 5 years in the Pack and we had Spring events that they had grown accustomed to. We all knew that they were Boy Scouts now & no longer Webelos, but saw no harm in letting them continue with Pack activities if the choose to until the end of the school year.  Whether they paid for the activity, or the Pack paid, all depended on the activity and how the payments were being handled for everyone else.