Some sea scouts walk on water...:D

"The Sea Scouts ( Ship 5001 Akron,OH) were out on Portage Lakes during the cold weather, not as they are usually seen in sailboats, kayaks, canoes or paddle boards, rather on cross country skies."

One of the programs the scouts have is “leave no trace”. That is what the Sea Scouts did on the weekend was ski on the lakes and collect trash, leaving no trace behind except for ski tracks.

https://www.thesuburbanite.com/news/20190307/sea-scouts-brave-cold-to-stay-on-lakes-year-round

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Some sea scouts walk on water...:D

"The Sea Scouts ( Ship 5001 Akron,OH) were out on Portage Lakes during the cold weather, not as they are usually seen in sailboats, kayaks, canoes or paddle boards, rather on cross country skies."

One of the programs the scouts have is “leave no trace”. That is what the Sea Scouts did on the weekend was ski on the lakes and collect trash, leaving no trace behind except for ski tracks.

https://www.thesuburbanite.com/news/20190307/sea-scouts-brave-cold-to-stay-on-lakes-year-round

That is cool, and super cold.  Our kids went to Philmont in the first week of the year.  It was -8, and super cold.  OMG I was so cold.  The kids like that they were on water in a different "state", lol.  They were even pictured on the Philmont facebook page.

2019_DBaima_WinterAdventure-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 2:56 PM, mashmaster said:

That is awesome to hear.  I hope some of your pack joins a Ship.  Or even founds one.

So, 8 months after this trip and today my son tells me that he would like to be a sea scout when he is old enough... and continue to be a boy scout. 😲

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, AlamanceScouter said:

We have a Sea Scout Ship in my district.  Really impressed with its commitment, the leaders, and its youth. 

You now have two I believe.  A new ship just started in Boerne 

12 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

You now have two I believe.  A new ship just started in Boerne 

A naive question:  Do sea scout ships actually have boats and really go sailing?

I ask because many of the questions I see coming up about sea scouting seem to have nothing nautical about them.

And now a mention of a ship in Boerne, which by my map is located in central Texas in the heart of "Hill Country".  I would make snide comments about that area having no maritime tradition, but somehow, some way, one of America's great naval commanders, Admiral Chester Nimitz, did in fact, grow up in the rocky, dusty, beautiful hills of central Texas.... I guess there are lakes to sail on there, but it's hard to imagine an adventurous maritime program thriving amid hills full of rattlesnakes and cacti...

Soooo, I wonder, Do sea scout ships actually have boats and really go sailing?

Similar to what we have here in Oklahoma City. A large enough lake and good wind.  Oh and a star to sail by.

59 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

1 hour ago, mrkstvns said:

A naive question:  Do sea scout ships actually have boats and really go sailing?

I ask because many of the questions I see coming up about sea scouting seem to have nothing nautical about them.

And now a mention of a ship in Boerne, which by my map is located in central Texas in the heart of "Hill Country".  I would make snide comments about that area having no maritime tradition, but somehow, some way, one of America's great naval commanders, Admiral Chester Nimitz, did in fact, grow up in the rocky, dusty, beautiful hills of central Texas.... I guess there are lakes to sail on there, but it's hard to imagine an adventurous maritime program thriving amid hills full of rattlesnakes and cacti...

Sea Scouts do not have to have sailing ships.

We have 4 in our state that I am familar with.

1 has a sailing ship

1 does canoes/kayaks

1 has a powered motorboat (smaller size) (6ish people sized)

1 has a larger motorboat, medium yacht size (15-20 sized?)

Our main local Ship tries to sail at most weekly meetings between May and October and work on advancement and certifications the rest of the year. They sail on a local park lake in optis and 420s. They also have access to a larger boat for trips on the Great Lakes.

Our ship has a bunch of random sailboats that have been donated over the years.  mainly small dinghy's like sunfish.  We also have some kayaks and a pontoon boat that was donated.

Many Ships have only have paddlecraft.  It really depends on what makes sense for your area and what is donated.   Many are partnered with yacht clubs that have a bunch of boats nobody uses and  want them used.