How many of you use an Outlaw Derby as a way to raise money for pack? What prizes do you give? We are a very small pack and trying to grow. When we took over leadership of pack there was very little fundings in account. We are two months in and have not had a fundraiser event yet. Thought this would be a good start.

We don't run an Outlaw derby as a fundraiser, it's just a class of cars that run after the regular derby. We already don't get a lot of cars entered into that class, so I suspect that treating it as a fundraiser somehow would result in even less participation.

I could, however, see it run as a separate event. Maybe an adult-only event, entry fee, big cash prize for the winner (pack keeps half of all entry fees).

We sell food at our regular PWD, and that turns a decent profit for us. I believe at the last derby we raised $500 through food sales alone. We also had a 50/50 (which the winner graciously donated back to the Pack), t-shirt sales, etc.

1 minute ago, FireStone said:

We don't run an Outlaw derby as a fundraiser, it's just a class of cars that run after the regular derby. We already don't get a lot of cars entered into that class, so I suspect that treating it as a fundraiser somehow would result in even less participation.

I could, however, see it run as a separate event. Maybe an adult-only event, entry fee, big cash prize for the winner (pack keeps half of all entry fees).

We sell food at our regular PWD, and that turns a decent profit for us. I believe at the last derby we raised $500 through food sales alone. We also had a 50/50 (which the winner graciously donated back to the Pack), t-shirt sales, etc.

Our pinewood derby didnt go so well on food sales. I believe it was only $43. Which we were renting building and the people who own it used their snacks and drinks. Said we would get 100% proceeds. But since they were still in the negative I'm not sure how they will work it out. 

I was thinking to have the outlaw race a public event. Any past Cub Scout, scout parent, or anyone wanting to test their talent can join in. I guess a 50/50 wouldnt be so bad for the winner. We thought about $20 to enter and if they want to use additional cars $10ea after. 

It sounds like fun, if the adults and cubs support it. It could be a great way to introduce yourself to the community.

There is a unit fundraiser application that you should fill out and send to your council. Your district executive should help you with that.