Girls in Scouts BSA in the News (and in recruiting numbers)...

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No dog in this fight (BTW - do not support dog fighting but it's a great old expression) as our unit has eschewed any camporees, etc. The judging of "best" troop or "best" patrol at events when t

I am Scoutmaster for a 22-member all-girl Troop that is "stand-alone" and not linked to an existing unit.  In fact, we are the only youth program at the church that serves as our CO.  I'm a 30-year Sc

JTE is definitely a corporate Lean type site measurement that was brought it.  We typically get Gold status, but not sure it's something we focus on, but moving on... In JTE measurement the chall

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, cocomax said:

"Another issue to consider is if BSA is offering its services to girls, can it also use the term GIRL in connection with SCOUT, SCOUTS or SCOUTING?"

Is that question in that article, I don't see it.  If it is your question I would ask you, is that something the BSA is doing, or planning to do?  It seems doubtful that they would do that.  Based on what it says in that article, for the BSA to do that would undermine (and probably destroy) its legal argument in the pending case.

5 hours ago, Cburkhardt said:

Numbers released today show Scouts BSA still expanding.  Youth membership up net 1.4% and units up net 5.6%.

Where did you get those numbers?

2017 Annual report numbers all youth = 2,659,439

2018 Annual report numbers all youth = 2,499,349

That seems to be down about 160,090 youth and a decline of 6%

8 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

Where did you get those numbers?

2017 Annual report numbers all youth = 2,659,439

2018 Annual report numbers all youth = 2,499,349

That seems to be down about 160,090 youth and a decline of 6%

There may have been mid year numbers released; however, I expect those are always going to show growth for Scouts BSA.

1) They show the additional AOL crossovers 

2) They don’t drop any youth until recharter at the end of the year

These are month-to-month statistics and are only the Scouts BSA program numbers.  What they show is that there continues to be slight incremental net growth of Scouts BSA youth members and Troops on a national basis since adding girls.  My interpretation is that -- for the moment -- Scouts BSA program statistics are holding steady as incoming female membership and all-girl troops join and partly offset other membership losses.  We need to be cautious in our optimism, because there might be significant "bulk" LDS membership and unit losses in Scouts BSA as we approach the end of the year.  The degree to which all-girl unit formation and member recruitment succeed this fall (during the first "standard" recruitment cycle for female program operations) can help maintain our membership, but we should redouble our recruitment efforts for our all-boy units at the same time.  These next few recruitment cycles will be critical to maintain vitality.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:12 AM, KYScouter said:

Here's a news story about the first year of Scouts BSA Girls attending our local camp.

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Local-BSA-scout-camp-opens-doors-to-all-girl-troops-511816471.html

I notice that the article cites a girl troop with 8 members.

I know that girls in scouting is a new concept, but I wonder if, and when, girl troops will become as large as some of the boy troops. We have troops in our council of well over 100 boys. I wonder if girl troops will grow as large and as active.

Who knows, but boys in Boy Scouts for most parents is a natural result of the BSA's long long standing reputation of the Boy Scout program. I have yet to hear any parent say the same for girls joining the Boy Scouts. Girls joining is a proactive decision. The natural reaction is probably a generation or two away. 

We might learn the answers to a few of these kinds of questions by asking the members of the Canadian scouts who went through these changes 20 or so years ago.

Barry

42 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

I notice that the article cites a girl troop with 8 members.

I do hope they add members.  For small group or patrol activities, 8 to 10 is a good number.  For a full troop that may be a tough road to get critical mass to do activities and have a good number of outings and events

19 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

I do hope they add members.  For small group or patrol activities, 8 to 10 is a good number.  For a full troop that may be a tough road to get critical mass to do activities and have a good number of outings and events

A tightly linked troop probably won't grow beyond 8-10. That's because the girls will be seen as one of the guys ... effectively a patrol in a troop of 20.