Girls in Scouts BSA in the News (and in recruiting numbers)...

15 hours ago, SSF said:
Fred, it is true that a brand new patrol of new scouts (all Scout or Tenderfoot presumably) could potentially win a camporee over vastly more experienced scouts (1C, Star, Life, Eagle) who have competed previously in multiple camporees and klondikes, but the odds and probability of them actually doing that without some outside assistance is relatively slim. 

I've often seen biased judging too and I rarely like camporees competitions, unless we win.  But except for the physical size, I don't see much advantage by older scouts.  Younger scouts often benefit from more recent teaching and being a little more focused.  Older scouts have size, but have often forgot or are not as committed to the competition.  

My experience is few older scouts really care about the competition.

• Like 2
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No dog in this fight (BTW - do not support dog fighting but it's a great old expression) as our unit has eschewed any camporees, etc. The judging of "best" troop or "best" patrol at events when t

I am Scoutmaster for a 22-member all-girl Troop that is "stand-alone" and not linked to an existing unit.  In fact, we are the only youth program at the church that serves as our CO.  I'm a 30-year Sc

JTE is definitely a corporate Lean type site measurement that was brought it.  We typically get Gold status, but not sure it's something we focus on, but moving on... In JTE measurement the chall

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, cocomax said:

The camporee was set up so that the adults running ...

:(You could have stopped right there and won me over.

Even if @Eagledad didn't mean to imply adults had their thumbs on the scales, that's what this was. The new patrols don't deserve to be patronized like that.

My favorite camporees were run by JASMs. Adults might help set up etc ... but the youth allocated points, etc ... If the boys want to patronize the new scouts that's on them. Chances are, they'd do it by being cheerful and courteous, not doling out bling.

@cocomax if your PLC really feels burned by this, they should write a letter telling the district key-3 so, and copying every SM in the district.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, FireStone said:

I'd protest it. I know that's easy to say in the Internet and less so IRL, but it just seems like this needs to be reined in. Marginalizing boys just to pump up girls for Scouts BSA is wrong.

I'm a Cub leader and I try to imagine this stuff at the Pack level. Could there be a Pack that gives a girl the top trophy in the Pinewood Derby even though her car ran slower than boys' cars? Geez, it's hard to believe, but after reading stuff like this about what Troops are doing, it's entirely possible.

I'm a den leader. My daughter won the pinewood derby this year. No one blinked because, well, her car was the fastest, and that's how it goes sometimes. She was surprised, tbh, and I was of course proud.  I think, especially with the cubs, we have to move away from making gender a highlighted thing in general.  Scouts are scouts.  We judge them on their performance at events like cub games or jamborees.  We are guided by the oath and law, and our training as leaders. 

That said, I've often though coed dens might help this, and of course it should be up to each pack. But in our case, a combined group of girls serving as a single den stands out a lot more than a mix of girls and boys in dens, and it would lessen feelings of a boy vs girl mentality at events like this.  There are plenty of practical reasons a change like this might be useful (after all, venturing scout troops have been co-ed for a long time).  As long as the YPT policies are followed with female and male leaders two deep, I don't see why this couldn't become more common.  Some troops might not want to do that, and that's fine. Let's make it a choice.  

I think there will be hiccups along the way.  It's incumbent upon the leaders to try and do better.  We all need to do our best to avoid marginalizing the boys (intentionally or not) and we need to avoid marginalizing the girls too, especially if we want to retain scouts.  It will take a little time to get over these growing pains.  But I think in the end, scouting will be much richer for it.  After all, throughout life, our kids will have to learn to work with people from all backgrounds and the more they get to do this in scouts, the more they can hopefully respect others. 

And I definitely don't want the girls to be given special treatment. My daughter bombed her outdoor code, and I wonder if she was penalized as much as a boy would have been.  I didn't see all the score sheets, but I wonder. And I don't want them to wonder if their awards aren't real.  It may come from a well-intentioned place, but either you know your oaths and law, or you don't.  On the flip side, there were cubs chanting 'boys are stronger than girls' at the campfire, and we can't have that either.  We need to be unified in the scouting family.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Cburkhardt said:

With a preponderance of 11-13 year olds, the SM staffs are of course needing to do more than normal.  After all, the girls and their parents need to have an essentially quality experience over the first six months or so.  You can’t expect an inexperienced 12 year old SPL who is not even Scout rank to figure it all out.  So is it likely there was over-coaching in this instance?  

I am feeling that the amount of intervention is a tricky judgment call in this case.    On our recent campout,  there was a point at which,  if I had been out with a bunch of junior girl scouts (grade 4) I would have told them "look at the kaper chart".   But I held off.   Eventually I did call the patrol leader out of the happily sociallizing crowd of girls and whisper in her ear that she might think about having her scouts take a look at the duty roster.  

The girls had a great time.   But they did end up concluding that they would like to be more efficient next time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkPajamas said:

Our Weblos girl den wipes the floor with the boys den

Keep talking like that and you'll be invited to be a judge at this camporee next year

1 hour ago, dfg890 said:

On the flip side, there were cubs chanting 'boys are stronger than girls' at the campfire, and we can't have that either.  We need to be unified in the scouting family.  

Ummm,  as a general rule,   males are stronger than females.   It's a well established fact.                                                                                            

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, malraux said:

Isn’t that the real victory in the competition?

I think the critical question is why the older scouts don't care.   

If they have grown past the " gotta have more bling"  stage and care more about having fun and teaching the younger scouts then yes that's a good thing.

Bur we had a district camporee that the same troops patrols" won" year after year.  Even when it was very clear that they didn't.  Somehow the numbers always got tweaked just enough for them to win.  After a while the older scouts just stopped competing.  Sometimes they are smarter than we think.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Oldscout448 said:

Ummm,  as a general rule,   males are stronger than females.   It's a well established fact.                                                                                            

But that's not why the Scouts were chanting that.  There's millions of facts that they could have chosen to chant.  But they chose that one for a reason.

Further, it's a divisive thing to do.  In essence it's pitting the boys against the girls.  As we are all Scouts, there's no real reason to do this.

Edited by ParkMan
Expanded the thought
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, qwazse said:

@cocomax if your PLC really feels burned by this, they should write a letter telling the district key-3 so, and copying every SM in the district.

Even after you mentioned adults cheating, I still didn’t consider it. I’m embarrassed because I was blaming the unit leaders, but now I’m wondering it they were coaxed into going.

I agree Cocomax should meet with the Key3, but I’m suspicious they are the problem. If it’s the key3, then it’s the Council. 

Shesh

Barry

The council CEO/Scout Executive was on site for this event.  He even stopped by our camp site and talked with us Saturday morning. 

I am suspicious the key3 are on board with this new way of scoring events at camporees.  

I now have a few questions for him next time I see him.

My mind is blow by the fact that a new all girl patrol got top 3 in all 11 events and most of those being first place. The boys they are linked with only got 2 ribbons.

11 ribbons,  that is amazing. . . 

No wonder the boys in my troop were wondering if there were 3 all girl patrols at a camporee if they would win all the events. 

I expect this is just the way things work now. 

Edited by cocomax
9 minutes ago, cocomax said:

The council CEO/Scout Executive was on site for this event.  He even stopped by our camp site and talked with us Saturday morning. 

I am suspicious the key3 are on board with this new way of scoring events at camporees.  

I now have a few questions for him next time I see him.

As a district volunteer, I'd be floored if the council key three had an inkling of how Camporee planners were scoring events.  The council key three should have significantly bigger fish to fry.   In fact, I doubt our district key three know how Camporee events are scored.

My recommendation is to ask some of the planners how they decided on the format.  Explore it with them.  Then, I'd recruit a couple of experienced troop adults to join the Camporee committee. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have been to two camporees this year and saw this same type of scoring biased towards the female troops.  At both those troops won and I personally saw unfair scoring in their favor and also their leaders overly helping the girls.

It saddened me because it cheapened the experience for all involved and the moms of the winning troops overly celebrated IMHO.  I think this is something that will level out over a couple of years.