How tight are your scouts?

15 hours ago, Cambridgeskip said:

I don't get too stressed about what style mine go for, in fact I quite like that mine look a little bit scruffy and grungy

Ahhh, the voice of humanism.  Boys SHOULD look a "little bit scruffy and grungy", shouldn't they?

I like that perspective!

I'm often self amused because some scouts are always having problems with shirt tails or pants held up by the tops of their boots. It's like a law that they have to be disheveled looking. I try to take action on those types of things when they are important, never when they are moving gear etc. As adults, we tend to be more conscious of how we look. And we help each other out if our necker is sitting wrong. Honestly I think some of us need reminding to hoist our pants a little more. 

In one of our recent troop meetings, the scouts were reminded that before flag ceremonies that they need to do a quick uniform check. In other words, shirt tucked in, necker laying down, pant legs not caught on things, jacket off, appropriate headgear... Hopefully it will hold for a while. 

11 minutes ago, Buggie said:

In one of our recent troop meetings, the scouts were reminded that before flag ceremonies that they need to do a quick uniform check. In other words, shirt tucked in, necker laying down, pant legs not caught on things, jacket off, appropriate headgear... Hopefully it will hold for a while. 

...at least until the flag ceremony concludes.

• Like 1

Uniform inspections...

Once upon a time,  I played trombone in the Purdue Marching Band.  I had friends who were in ROTC.  We would compare notes on uniforms, spit polishing shoes,  creases, etc. 

I was once told about a ROTC company inspection. My buddy's squad was insistant that the inspecting Louie could NEVER be pleased, he ALWAYS found something to count down.  So they picked one of their group and made sure everything was perfect.  Pants pressed and draped just so. Shirt lined, tucked in. Buckle polished, nails trimmed, hair combed and slicked, hat just so, shoes spit polished so you could shave in the reflection.  They CARRIED him to the armory, placed him in the spot and formed up around him. Wiped the floor around him, dusted off his shoulders, shoes,  heels were even polished. The  Louie was duly impressed and reportedly gave out his first ever 100%.   When the company was ordered to march in review, the wax covering the "sample's"  shoes popped off in one big flake..... 

• Haha 4

You know, there's a module on my.scouting on uniforms and it has a section specifically on neckerchiefs. 

If I recall correctly from taking the module recently, pretty much it says all the different ways to wear the neckerchief (including collar folded in, if desired) are acceptable as long as everyone in the unit does it the same way.

9 hours ago, Liz said:

You know, there's a module on my.scouting on uniforms and it has a section specifically on neckerchiefs. 

If I recall correctly from taking the module recently, pretty much it says all the different ways to wear the neckerchief (including collar folded in, if desired) are acceptable as long as everyone in the unit does it the same way.

Good luck with that!!

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

Urgh! Under the collar? What's wrong with you people? ;);)

When I was a scout we didn't have collars. So when I came back with my son and we suddenly had collars I thought the same thing. But, being a frog boiled in cold water ....

While there are rules that say anything goes as long as the whole unit agrees,  I agree with you. If there's one thing on the uniform that says scout it's the necker.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, MattR said:

When I was a scout we didn't have collars

My mid-60's shirt did not have a collar, which was kind of a moot point since necker's were a required part of the uniform back then.  My uniform in the 70's had a collar, but we wore it turned under; same way we wore the original tan De La Renta shirts.  My current troop does not wear a neckerchief, so the only time I wear one now is on occasion when I wear my Woodbadge necker to Roundtable, or when I wear one of my 60's/70's uniforms.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:52 AM, mrkstvns said:

Ah yes, the turned under collar....I haven't seen that done in years (though it might because our unit prefers the bolo).  

Do very many scouts today turn their collars under?

Depends on the SM in my opinion.  If he grew up in scouting he'll probably prefer the way he wore it

4 minutes ago, JasonG172 said:

Depends on the SM in my opinion.  If he grew up in scouting he'll probably prefer the way he wore it

Unless they don't make the collarless shirts he wore as a scout anymore. Then he peaks through the zipper of his tent to see what the SPL is doing. :D

Barry

2 hours ago, Eagledad said:

Unless they don't make the collarless shirts he wore as a scout anymore. Then he peaks through the zipper of his tent to see what the SPL is doing. :D

Barry

You are correct...however it is a standard the Troop set, yes ultimately the scouts could say  "we don't want to wear neckers" however none have ever challenged the "Troops Standards"

3 hours ago, JasonG172 said:

You are correct...however it is a standard the Troop set, yes ultimately the scouts could say  "we don't want to wear neckers" however none have ever challenged the "Troops Standards"

I was just kidding, the adults wore bolos in our troop.