How tight are your scouts?

Have you ever noticed how different scouts often wear their neckerchiefs very differently?

Some roll them up tight and wear them perfectly even. Some just loosely roll them with a couple flips before stuffing them into a neckerchief slide. Some troops opt for the bolo instead of a neckerchief, and some scouts seem to forget that neckwear is even a part of the uniform.

Check out this picture:  the scout on the left has a very tightly rolled neckerchief, while his friend and right-hand-man barely rolls it at all...

How do you like to see a neckerchief being worn??

image.png.fff939e420aa5b0eb3b2ebb1a968f7a7.png

I'm in-between these two looks. Tightly rolled, but loosely fit with the slide. I wear my slide about even with where my square knots are.

I guess it's personal preference. In the UK style, slides (or tied friendship knots) are really low on the necker. And I've seen a little of that look coming over to the US. As far as I know, it's not any sort of uniform violation to not roll it. In fact in some old texts you'll see neckerchiefs worn like the scout on the right, not rolled at all.

Personally I think the scout on the left has the slide too tight. I'm not a fan of the slide pulled all the way up to the collar. But again, personal preference.

38 minutes ago, John-in-KC said:

I still turn my collar under, just as I did as a youth member in 1968

Ah yes, the turned under collar....I haven't seen that done in years (though it might because our unit prefers the bolo).  

Do very many scouts today turn their collars under?

Many scouts don't even wear a neckerchief.

I don't think any who I know turn their collars under.

I prefer 4-6 rolls, tight ... with a woggle (not the standard issue metal facsimile) or friendship knot.

1 hour ago, mrkstvns said:

Ah yes, the turned under collar....I haven't seen that done in years (though it might because our unit prefers the bolo).  

Do very many scouts today turn their collars under?

Not sure I have seen a current scout turn their collar under.  My troop does not wear a neckerchief, although I do occasionally wear my Woodbadge one, and will on occasion wear an older 60's uniform and do wear a time period neckerchief with it.  If I am wearing the collared 60's shirt I turn the collar under, if I am wearing a collarless shirt, it is a moot point.

I do make sure that it is rolled tightly, and to a length of 6 inches when I wear any neckerchief, with the slide up to the last buttoned button. 

It's hard enough to get scouts in full uniform, I don't pay much attention how they wear the neckerchief. However, Eagles are typically tighter than the norm, so the scout on the right surprises me. I'm betting he was in a hurry.

It's been awhile, are those scout pants?

Barry

2 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

It's been awhile, are those scout pants?

Yes.  There was a period where the lighter weight pants had that built in belt with a backpack style locking clasp.  We have a couple of pair like that in our uniform closet.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

I do miss the collarless shirts.

Don't worry.  I'm sure they'll make a comeback one day.  Hopefully, along with leisure suits, nehru jackets, and platform shoes!

• Haha 1

It's really interesting how even within a single unit there is so much variation in how neckerchiefs are worn. Just watch any video on YouTube of a scout troop and see how many scouts within one unit wear them entirely differently. Over collar, under, rolled, loose, high/tight slide, low/loose slide, tied in a knot, no neckerchief, bolo...

Three colour neckers (like the UK national one) are an absolute pain to make neat and tidy. A tight woggle (slide) roughs it up so much.

Do yours ever wear it "Dutch" style, with the ends of the necker going in opposite sides of the slide? Or with a friendship knot instead? Mine tend to do the latter on camp, sliding the woggle up one side to avoid losing it.

I don't get too stressed about what style mine go for, in fact I quite like that mine look a little bit scruffy and grungy

1 hour ago, FireStone said:

It's really interesting how even within a single unit there is so much variation in how neckerchiefs are worn. Just watch any video on YouTube of a scout troop and see how many scouts within one unit wear them entirely differently. Over collar, under, rolled, loose, high/tight slide, low/loose slide, tied in a knot, no neckerchief, bolo...

I see that as well with the roll and slide positions, although the collar should be the same troop wide.

I don't know if there is a "official way" to wear the neckerchief. I wear my neckerchief like the Scout on the left, but I for the life of me cannot get that embroidered Eagle neckerchief to roll that neatly without taking a hot iron to it.