Old to Scouting, new to leadership

Hey, all. I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout about 25 years ago. The wife is working as a den leader (she teaches at a school, and one of her coworkers is the cubmaster and asked nicely). To support the wife, I also registered as a leader and we did the online training together. Well, a few weeks ago we had our Blue and Gold, and the cubmaster thanked me for helping out (lot of picture taking and the like), and she noted that I'm actually a member of the pack committee. So I decided to steer into the skid, and after the first committee meeting, I was nominated to be committee secretary. 

The pack went through a big shakeup after lagging for some time, so it's mostly new people involved, a bit disorganized, but the parents are active, the dozen or so kids are energetic and the CM is doing a great job. So now I'm trying to learn what makes a good pack committee secretary, how to help out the pack and generally not stink at the job.

So, hi!

On 3/1/2019 at 8:52 PM, bobclark86 said:

So now I'm trying to learn what makes a good pack committee secretary, how to help out the pack and generally not stink at the job.

As with any role a scouter may take, learn the ropes and "Do your best". 

Do take training on scouting.org pertinent to the Pack Committee.  You've probably already done that though.  You've probably already read the job description for Secretary (but I'll repeat it here to remind the other folks on this forum):

Secretary

The secretary ensures proper records are kept within the pack. Specifically, the secretary will:

• Keep informed of all Cub Scouting literature, materials, records, and forms to help leaders function effectively. Help new den leaders access needed tools.

• Acquaint den leaders with the contents of the Pack Record Book so that they will know how to supply the information that should be recorded there.

• Maintain up-to-date information on membership, leadership, attendance, and advancement in the Pack Record Book and/or MyScouting Tools.

• Maintain an inventory of pack property.

• Handle correspondence for the pack. This may include writing letters of appreciation and requests for reservations, or ordering supplies through the local council service center.

• Keep notes on business conducted at pack leaders’ meetings. Record only key items such as things needing follow-up or items for the history of the pack.

• Notify leaders of pack leaders’ meetings and other activities.

• Provide den leaders with records and forms for meetings.

As you might already realize, there's sometimes room for interpretation and some of these duties do overlap with those expected of other committee members, so it will benefit you to understand the roles of all committee members/chairs and to build working relationships with them to avoid stepping on each others' toes.  For example, that third bullet point might encroach on what the Advancement Chair is already doing. 

Good luck!

On 3/1/2019 at 9:52 PM, bobclark86 said:

...she noted that I'm actually a member of the pack committee. So I decided to steer into the skid...

I'm pretty sure this is just about the single best way to sum up any involvement in Scouting as a leader. 🤣

Thanks for the welcome, all. Got a copy of the CS Leader Book, some other documents, and completed the online training for the pack committee position (I'm also now have my den leader training to help out the wife, as well as merit badge counselor for kicks and giggles). 

I'm pretty sure this is just about the single best way to sum up any involvement in Scouting as a leader. 🤣

I had a feeling that's how it goes, hah!