Dining Hall roof collapse at Bear Paw Scout camp (WI)

Built in 1949, moved to this location in 1952. Had been the dining hall until 2000, currently a program building. Unknown why the roof was not raked? Sudden heavy snow, not enough time? Insurance adjuster due next week. 

https://fox11online.com/news/local/heavy-snow-causes-partial-building-collapse-at-bear-paw-scout-camp

34 minutes ago, Cubmaster Pete said:

We have had so much snow here lately, and more in this part of the state. Just had a blizzard move thru this area last week.

IMHO, Council should append that information to the beginning video, i.e., the heavy snow load came before we could safely rectify the situation. Instead we have a video of 3 guys standing there, flying a drone, waiting and watching  for the building collapse.

The PR difference between there was nothing we could do in time versus we did nothing to prevent it

My $0.01 for being grumpy

P.S. My roof has a steeper pitch, less snow, and I rake. 

5 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMHO, Council should append that information to the beginning video, i.e., the heavy snow load came before we could safely rectify the situation. Instead we have a video of 3 guys standing there, flying a drone, waiting and watching  for the building collapse.

The PR difference between there was nothing we could do in time versus we did nothing to prevent it ...

It's pretty obvious to me that the damage was done before film started rolling. But then, the roof of our council camp's 20 year old dining hall collapsed under similar circumstances several years back.

There was a group in the camp tapping trees for maple syrup and they saw the damage and heard the noise of the walls popping.  One person had a drone and others grabbed cameras waiting for the collapse.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1