Towards Better "Scouts Own Service" interfaith worship...

Scouts working on their "Communication" merit badge need to lead one of 3 types of troop events: a Court of Honor, a Campfire, or a "Scouts Own" Interfaith Worship.

Over the years, I've noticed that the boys view being the Court of Honor MC as the most prestigious of the three, leading a Campfire as the most fun, and that leaves "Scouts Own" Interfaith services as the event that is least often done (but by extension, is the most available to any scout who wants to knock out the requirement because most of the other boys won't be fighting over the role -- view that option as an opportunity if you want to earn the badge quickly). 

That's really too bad because I think Duty to God is one of the most important values in scouting and because I think it can be challenging and fun to put together an interfaith worship service.

I've accumulated quite a few pointers, tips, and rubrics for putting these events together and I've sat through quite a few on campouts and training events. Some are absolutely sublime!  And of course, some are....errrr....not quite as sublime. I've been thinking about what makes an interfaith worship event work (or not work), and I've come up with six pointers that I'll call "Best Practices" (though, I'm sure somebody will come up with a couple more that I should have thought of, or maybe has a better idea than one of my tips --- after all, only God is perfect.)

I start off by focusing on the two absolutely essential core attributes of a good interfaith worship.

GOALS:

• Reverence to God
  • Respect for all attendees

I hope these are understood by everyone. I hope everyone agrees that these two goals are obvious and are correct.

In my opinion, Reverence to God means that the interfaith activity focuses solely on spirituality and the concepts of God and reverence that are widely understood and embraced by most (if not all) major religions. I don't like being cheated or conned in any aspect of life, and when it comes to worship, I will feel cheated if somebody abuses my faith in God to sell me products, deliver political diatribes, or misuse the service as a venue for patriotic songs or slogans. All of these may have a legitimate place in our society, but that place is not at a respectful celebration of God and his works.

Most scouting units accept members from a variety of different faiths and beliefs. The interfaith service should welcome all and promote fruitful reflection by all participants. Nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable or inferior.

I've looked at a lot of the resources, templates, and programs from past interfaith events, and few seem to fully embrace both goals as well as they could. Most could be improved by adopting one or more of the following six "best practices" that I think can help scouts and scouters alike to enjoy more respectful and reverent interfaith worship services.

SIX "BEST" PRACTICE RECOMMENDATIONS:
1. Focus on Common Values
There are differences between the world's major religions. But there are also commonalities shared between most (or all) of the religions. Avoid the differences and promote the commonalities and you're more likely to have a service that invites no controversy, dissent, or bad feelings. Common values include: Peace, Love, Compassion, Equality, Honesty, Justice, Life, Optimism, and Respect.

2. Focus on Spirituality
God is the focus of the service. Anything you put in the program that distracts from God's wisdom and values is inappropriate. Several scouts use patriotic songs like "America the Beautiful" or "God Bless America" in their services. These songs are not about God or his will. Think about it: God created all of humanity, so men of every nation on Earth are his children. Why would God appreicate your telling people to ignore his goals of equality and justice to favor only people born in or dwelling in one small piece of arbitrarily defined geography?  I don't think that's a very reverent thing to do and I find it offensive when scouts do it because people should put God before country (and every other "false God"). 

3. Respect All Religions
Although most scouting families in BSA are of one Christian faith or other, many are not. God treats all his children as equals, so we must respect our brothers and sisters. Many scouts do an excellent job of choosing their readings or songs wisely, avoiding teachings or philosophies that are sectarian. Some scouts could do better. One thing I would avoid are any scripture readings that are not of a universal nature (Christian faiths can avoid those from the New Testament, especially the ones that specifically talk about "Jesus" or "Christ" since these obviously are of Christian interest, but may be most likely to not align with non-Christian faiths). Similarly, other faiths may want to avoid references to their particular saviours or prophets, including perhaps, Buddha, Allah, Confucious or others, to name but a few).

4. Stay True to Scouting Values
Scouting values are religiously neutral, but all of them align with the "Common Values" I mentioned in point 1 of this list. We have a Scout Oath, a Scout Law, and an Outdoor Code. We learn these as Webelo Scouts and as we work on our Scout rank, and we repeat them hundreds of times through our scouting careers. These values mean something. They are good things to work into our interfaith services. Many scouts have found ways to interpret the Scout Law in light of spiritual teachings. Many religions today embrace conservation and the environment as core values of their faith. For example, Pope Francis wrote a long book called Laudato Si, in which he explains how respect for life means we respect our planet's life support systems, and when you damage our Earth, you commit an offense against humanity, life itself, and God. Yeah, I know: the Pope can't speak for non-Christians.  Nonetheless, other faiths have come to a similar realization that conservation is not just a matter of life and death, it's also a matter of faith, so this is evidently now more of a "common value". If you're conducting an interfaith service in an outdoor environment, why not find a song that celebrates the natural world God created for us....or find or create a benediction that puts Earth's life support system in our thoughts and prayers. (I've included a few pointers to useful resources at the end of this post).

5. Make It Fun 
An interfaith service should be enjoyable. Not boring. Limit the time to help scouts stay focused on spirituality (if you're going more than 15-20 minutes, you're boring the scouts). Have a couple songs. Do a reading. Invite a few other scouts to speak. These things will keep scouts focused.

6. Use Common Sense
There are points I make here that won't apply to every worship service in every unit. In our local troop, scouts of all faiths are welcome. There is a troop nearby that is part of an LDS church --- all their scouts are members of their own faith. That troop should ignore my recommendations about readings, terminology, etc and feel free to celebrate the way their customs dictate. After all, if nobody's sensibilities would be offended by talking about Jesus' teachings, then have at it! Similarly, I know of Muslim troops and Jewish troops chartered by their own religious organizations. Of course they should celebrate the way they see fit....I'm sure it will please God and respect all in attendance.

RESOURCES:

Interfaith Worship Service Planning Worksheet
https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/worksheet08182008.pdf 

Big Book of Scout Worship Services
http://scoutsown.sdicbsa.org/Website we4-49-09_files/ScoutsOwnWorksheet.pdf 

Environment and Sustainability Prayers
https://www.xavier.edu/jesuitresource/online-resources/prayer-index/sustainability-prayers 

MacScouter's Big "A Scout is Reverent" Resource Book
http://www.macscouter.com/ScoutsOwn/docs/BBRevrnt.pdf 

Edited by mrkstvns
  • Upvote 1

I like your Scouts Own Service plan. I also agree with you that duty to god is one of the most important aspects of the scouting program. But for me, talking directly to scouts about god is the better than a sleeping pill. The look in their eyes isn't too different from the Zombies.

From my SM perspective, the value of god is best highlighted with a few subtle words after a self reflection of a recent scouting experience. For boys this age, growth from duty to god is usually, unsuspecting, subtle, and personal. In general Scouts Own Services are the most dreaded and boring part of the a scout's outing experience. The subject matter is not the reason a boy joins scouting.  I personally like to keep scouts own short and to the point. The point is that scouting values are gods values.

I admit, from my faith, I believe God does all the work in His time. I try to stay out of His way by not taking anything away, and not adding much. Usually a mention of God from me in front of the scouts is a personal reflection for my experience. My hope is that my actions speak very loudly.

I'm not trying to be self-righteous about this. All of us Scoutmasters have our style toward scout growth, it's a personal style thing. Your approach may work, but my experience is that scouts who choose to do a Scouts Own Service for credit are being pushed by their parents. I guess that is as good a motivation as any, but I like to see scouts all in with these things.

I wish you luck and hope your plan goes well for you.

Barry

• Upvote 2

@mrkstvns your recommendation is awesome. There will always be exceptions.

For example, although they disagree with the theology, Muslims expect Christians to talk about Jesus and read/recite from the Gospel. Their scripture promises that they will. It's a brand they trust. If that doesn't happen, they may doubt the sincerity of someone who calls themselves Christian. Conversely, thanks to our sworn enemies, many Christian youth know the lists of (translations of) Islamic versus that encourage violence. What they don't know is their context or how they are worked out in the more moderate Muslim's life.

So, sometimes, with a diverse group, we need a little humility to ask ahead of time, "This is special to me, but if I shared it with the whole group, would it distract from your ability to honor God the way you see fit?" Many times the answer will be "Please, go ahead." Sometimes the answer will be "Please, no!"

The goal is to get the youth to have these conversations with one another.

Generally, if adults step to the side, these things have a way of working themselves out.

Be careful of the mixes. Some faith groups consider it anathema to be in worship with another group.

an example is the Yankee Stadium Interfaith Memorial Service after 9-11. A regional president of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod was in the “chancel” and prayed with others. He nearly was defrocked by his church body. 

Respect the families wishes. 

Wow, here is why we created the "Faith and Chaplaincy Forum".   Oh, wait.....

mrkstvns  You are on the money.    

Are you a Scout Chaplain?  You would make a good one.   

When I began to help with IOLS , I noticed there was no mention of "Reverent" in the syllabus. When I offered to lead a discussion about such, I was taken up on it, and the following was the result.  The need to include the Scout's Spirituality , often misnamed or misconstrued as "proselytizing" is often missed.   as in many parts of Scouting, the Scouts need some examples to proceed . How do they know how to plan a trip if they have never been on one?  What Parks? What trails?  Same here.  

Don't forget BP's guidance:  "" Reverence  to  God  and  reverence  for  one's  neighbour and  reverence  for oneself as a servant of God, is the basis of every form of religion.    The method of expression of reverence to God varies with every sect and denomination.    What  sect  or denomination  a  boy  belongs  to  depends,  as  a rule,  on his parents'  wishes.     It  is  they  who  decide.     It  is  our business to  respect  their  wishes  and  to  second  their  efforts  to inculcate  reverence,  whatever  form  of  religion  the  boy professes.”"  

I will be copying your work,  mrksrtvns, and here is mine for your consideration:   https://www.dropbox.com/s/76zk9ri7glgu9gt/ScoutsOwnDutytoGod.docx?dl=0    

Next time you pass thru Maryland, look me up. Coffee and pie are on me..... 

Edited by SSScout
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, John-in-KC said:

Be careful of the mixes. Some faith groups consider it anathema to be in worship with another group.

An interesting point...

By extension, the Scoutmaster and SPL should keep that in mind and offer the Scouts Own Service as an opportunity for those who choose to participate, but attendance should be optional --- not required for everyone in the unit.

16 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Next time you pass thru Maryland, look me up. Coffee and pie are on me..... 

Thanks for your comments, SSScout!  You better be careful about inviting me out for coffee and pie.  I grew up in D.C., have family in Maryland so "pass through" the area often, and I can eat quite a lot of pie...

17 hours ago, SSScout said:

Wow, here is why we created the "Faith and Chaplaincy Forum".   Oh, wait.....

Yo, moderator folks:  @SSScout has been a trustworthy contributor to this forum for 13 years and has patiently asked for a sub-forum regarding "Faith and Chaplaincy" for most of those 13 years!  Maybe it's time?
Stuff regarding faith, duty to God, reverence, etc. is very much a key component of the Scouting experience.  I think it might be a good idea to give it some attention outside of the Program or I&P sub-forums.

• Downvote 1
3 hours ago, WAKWIB said:

Yo, moderator folks:  @SSScout has been a trustworthy contributor to this forum for 13 years and has patiently asked for a sub-forum regarding "Faith and Chaplaincy" for most of those 13 years!  Maybe it's time?
Stuff regarding faith, duty to God, reverence, etc. is very much a key component of the Scouting experience.  I think it might be a good idea to give it some attention outside of the Program or I&P sub-forums.

Added topic tags  "Faith", "Chaplaincy" - the most we lowly Members and Moderators can do. :huh:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1