School Newspaper

Just venting, but I am extremely disappointed in my son’s elementary school.  He is a member of the school newspaper and one of his “beats” is recommendations.   He wrote an article (unprompted by me) recommending Cub Scouts.  I saw the article, it was well written, talks about some of the outings we do.  The school pulled the article.  They told him he can not recommend outside groups.  Video games, fast food, movies... no issues, but they draw the line on Cub Scouts. 

• Confused 1
44 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Just venting, but I am extremely disappointed in my son’s elementary school.  He is a member of the school newspaper and one of his “beats” is recommendations.   He wrote an article (unprompted by me) recommending Cub Scouts.  I saw the article, it was well written, talks about some of the outings we do.  The school pulled the article.  They told him he can not recommend outside groups.  Video games, fast food, movies... no issues, but they draw the line on Cub Scouts. 

It's troubling that today's society allows this kind of thing to happen.  

• Upvote 2

While it's a shame they dropped it my guess is there might be some history behind the decision to not allow publicity for any outside group. Imagine the worst of groups that you'd clearly not allow. Now think of all those that you'd clearly allow. Now find the sweet spot in the middle where the school is just going to get a bunch of people angry deciding yes or no. That's likely what they don't want. They may like cub scouts just fine.

How about having your son go ask the principal why they have that rule? Coach him to be respectful and that alone may just put a seed in the principal's mind to reconsider.

• Upvote 4

They apparently allowed other outside organizations in previous articles (such as a food bank).   They also allowed PG 13 and violent video games.  I told my son his next article should be an interview with the principal on the who, what, when, why on the ban... 

• Upvote 4

Have them turn the problem into the plot of "Newsies".  Your son needs to find an old press and start their own paper to battle Joseph Pulitzer who owns the concession on the elementary school newspaper

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/26/2019 at 5:11 PM, Eagle1993 said:

most public schools have similar policy, whether its promoting scouts or any other similar after school activity

its not just your school, 

also such policy is generally set by the district not the school,

5 hours ago, Terasec said:

most public schools have similar policy, whether its promoting scouts or any other similar after school activity

its not just your school, 

also such policy is generally set by the district not the school,

They allow promoting video games.   

43 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

They allow promoting video games.   

He said "activity" but I think it's clear he meant "organized activities."

If it is a public school then they have to be careful about supporting organizations.  Essentially what applies to one has to apply to all. The food bank  might be an interesting exception depending on what was recommended.  You don't "join" a food bank so it isn't quite the same thing. 

If you are going to have your son approach this then have him collect all the recommendations to find the "line"

On 2/27/2019 at 7:22 PM, Merlyn_LeRoy said:

I assume this is a public school -- maybe they don't want the school newspaper promoting a group that discriminates on the basis of religion.

9 hours ago, Terasec said:

most public schools have similar policy, whether its promoting scouts or any other similar after school activity its not just your school,  also such policy is generally set by the district not the school,

2 hours ago, mds3d said:

He said "activity" but I think it's clear he meant "organized activities." If it is a public school then they have to be careful about supporting organizations.  Essentially what applies to one has to apply to all. The food bank  might be an interesting exception depending on what was recommended.  You don't "join" a food bank so it isn't quite the same thing. 

If you are going to have your son approach this then have him collect all the recommendations to find the "line"

School newspapers in our district clearly state that the views therein are those of the students and do not reflect the school district's endorsement or sponsorship of the organizations or activities on which they report.

• Like 1

Activities?  Volunteering at the County Park Archeology site? Helping at the Animal Shelter?  Acolyte at the Cathedral?   Candy Stripper(do we still have that?) ? Key Club?  Circle R? Lions?  Food Pantry?  Scouts?  What defines an "activity".   I would argue that video games of ANY type are not an "activity".   

11 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Candy Stripper(do we still have that?)

🤣 I think I would draw the line at the school newspaper recommending students become  Candy Strippers. Candy Stripers might be acceptable. And yes, they do still exist but they aren't called that anymore and they don't wear stripes, at least not at my local hospital. 

Anyway, I think it would be interesting to find out what exactly the guidelines are in terms of why Scouting falls outside the realm of acceptable and other activities fall inside. But I think it's kind of sad that kids can't recommend what they want in kid-written articles.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Liz said:

🤣 I think I would draw the line at the school newspaper recommending students become  Candy Strippers. Candy Stripers might be acceptable. And yes, they do still exist but they aren't called that anymore and they don't wear stripes, at least not at my local hospital. 

Anyway, I think it would be interesting to find out what exactly the guidelines are in terms of why Scouting falls outside the realm of acceptable and other activities fall inside. But I think it's kind of sad that kids can't recommend what they want in kid-written articles.

Ach du lieber….  apologies  for too many ppppps...

On March 30, 2019 at 10:49 AM, SSScout said:

...   Candy Stripper(do we still have that?) ? ..

On March 30, 2019 at 11:21 AM, SSScout said:

Ach du lieber….  apologies  for too many ppppps...

In spite of decades of LNT propoganda, I find that strippers of candy still discard the wraps of said candy along our nation's byways. :(

Perhaps a public school newspaper would do well to permit articles asserting that we should walk this earth as though we were endowed stewards ....