What is the proper term now?

Hello,

I am currently a Webelos Den Leader and updating a script for Crossover.  The script says something to the effect of "You are no longer a Cub Scout; you are now a Boy Scout."  What is the proper term now to replace "Boy Scout?"  Is it "Scout"?  "Scout BSA?" "BSA Scout?"  

Thanks!

You could also maybe change the sentence to say something like, "You are no longer a Cub Scout. Welcome to Scouts BSA," or "Your journey in Cub Scouts has come to an end. Welcome to your new journey in Scouts BSA."

It would seem weird, sentence-wise, to say, "You are no longer a Cub Scout; you are now a Scout."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
21 hours ago, Cleveland Rocks said:

"Your journey in Cub Scouts has come to an end. Welcome to your new journey in Scouts BSA."

I like this one.  Our pack is doing crossover this Thursday night, I may suggest that to them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So this past weekend both of our troops (boys & girls) held their March overnighter at a nearby US Forest Service campground.  The two SPL's asked my cohort SM & me for advice on where to emplace the patrols of both troops.  Seeing an opportunity to work-in some European history and Norse mythology - as well as avoid the awkward "male patrols" & "female patrols" monikers - I suggested they might "place the Paladin patrols in these campsites and the Valkyrie patrols in those campsites".

After some quick explanation, the boys' SPL seemed agreeable with the comparison to Charlemagne's warriors and the girls' SPL approved of the association with the selectors of who may die valiantly in battle in anticipation of Valhalla.  Perfect.

Saturday night they ran a combined closing campfire, with the Paladin patrols on one side and Valkyrie patrols on the other.  During the pre-ceremony banter, one young lady struck a decisive pose, pointed to several individual boys, and said:  "Lessee, now.  YOU may die ... and YOU may die ... and YOU may die ..."

• Like 3

The problem is that because a person can't really be a "Scouts BSA", they have "detached" the description of the member from the name of the program.  A member of Cub Scouts is a Cub Scout.  A member of Boy Scouts was a Boy Scout (though often just called a "Scout.")  A member of Venturing is a Venturer. (Right?)  A member of Sea Scouts is a Sea Scout. So now, a member of Scouts BSA is a... Scout.  It breaks the pattern, but given the BSA's selection of a name, there really is no other choice.  "Scouts BSA" really is not a proper name for a program, in my opinion, but that's what it is.

"Today, your journey in our Pack ends, but your journey in your Troop begins."

Cubs are still Scouts, so I would spend less focus on what kind of scout they are, just defer to describing as what type of unit they are/will be in as a compromise. 

• Upvote 4

We have started saying, "You are no longer a Cub Scout. Welcome to our organization which is in no way affiliated with the Girl Scouts of America. Here is your neckerchief. Do you have a preferred pronoun you would like us to use when addressing you?"

• Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

I know this is a personal preference type of thing, but I dislike the term "Cub" or "Cubs" (when used by itself), because it makes them sound like they are still little tiny kids.  These are 10 and 11-year-old Webelos Scouts who are used to being the oldest Scouts in the pack.  The BSA doesn't call Tigers "Tiger Cubs" any more - officially they are called "Tiger Scouts" [Lion Scouts, Tiger Scouts, etc.].  While "Cub" would be intended as a term of endearment, some people (and current 10 and 11-year-olds) might find it a little bit demeaning.  JMO.

I agree with @HashTagScouts.  Don't focus on what type of Scout they are - focus on the type of unit.  However, if you want to describe what type of Scout they are, I would call them "Webelos Scout" or "Cub Scout", which are the official terms.