• 1 month later...

There were many in our lodge that wanted to do this, a February 1st election / ordeal, and our council VOA was on board as well, but not quite enough support within the lodge leadership to actually make it happen.  

• 1 month later...

Tipisa 326 inducted its first female youth members back during the first weekend in February (with the CSE in attendance).  This past weekend two of those new members were elected as the first female officers in the lodge.

16 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Tipisa 326 inducted its first female youth members back during the first weekend in February (with the CSE in attendance).  This past weekend two of those new members were elected as the first female officers in the lodge.

That's too bad because it means the local lodge is likely ignoring or skirting the rules for OA membership.

How does someone who has only been eligible for membership in BSA suddenly achieve 15 nights of camping with 1 long-term (5 night) camp?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for girls in BSA, but I'd be a lot happier if they actually earned their accolades instead of getting there by exception or fiat. These "firsties" devalue the honor that so many scouts have legitimately earned.

4 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

That's too bad because it means the local lodge is likely ignoring or skirting the rules for OA membership.

How does someone who has only been eligible for membership in BSA suddenly achieve 15 nights of camping with 1 long-term (5 night) camp?

https://oa-bsa.org/article/2018-membership-update

Beginning February 1, 2019, unit elections will be permitted in Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scout units. The new Order of the Arrow membership requirements are as follows:

Q. Will camping be counted retroactively for those currently in Venturing and Sea Scouts?

Yes.

• Upvote 2
27 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

Thanks, Hawkwin!   It slipped my mind that girls could have been active as Venturers or Sea Scouts.

Appreciate the reminder!

Correct!  Both of these young ladies are part of a Venture Crew, and were already very active in the council, both with their crew and at the council camp.  

• 2 weeks later...

The first class of female youth from Sequoyah Council BSA (TN) was inducted into the Order of the Arrow (OA) this month. Four girls from Kingsport-based Venture Crew 387 were nominated by their peers in March and have now completed the weekend induction required to become Arrowmen.

https://www.timesnews.net/Community/2019/06/03/Sequoyah-Council-BSA-s-first-class-of-female-youth-inducted-into-Order-of-the-Arrow

• Upvote 1