Blue & Gold cost

When my son was still in Cubs, the pack usually did Blue and Gold as a potluck event.  The pack paid for blue and yellow tablecloths, and always provided a big sheet cake....but the meal itself was potluck.

The cost to families was $0  (which is the ideal target price, IMHO, because then you have no barrier to the scouts from less advantaged families).

On 2/25/2019 at 8:21 AM, Jameson76 said:

That does seem a bit heavy.  Not in a pack but our Troop has a Winter COH for families, friends, etc.  We get a meal provided (not exactly catered but you get the picture), cost is $12 per person.

Hmmm.  Doesn't seem right to be charging people to attend a COH.  

We never charged for attending.  B&G cost was covered by earlier in the year dues and fundraisers.  B&G would be geared up or down depending on pack finances.  I've seen the blue and gold cost the pack $1500 to $2000 for a really cool event.  I've also seen it cost the pack $100 to $200 for a pot luck. 

We have out B&G at an event center someplace nearby (American Legion, Event Center, etc, its different all the time). Its catered, so it costs. Scouts NEVER pay, no matter what. Typically our cost run like this: Adults $15, Kid Under 12 years old $10, Kid 5 and under are free. It covers the cost of the food, no one has to cook or clean up. We generally get a discount from the venue, they wave various fees, we use our Tax ID number, etc. It works out just fine and no one complains about $15 for a meal and a show.

• 3 weeks later...

our pack has done it several different ways the past few years. The Webelos 1 parents are responsible for B&G every year with anyone else that wants to volunteer.  The year before us got a caterer and it was nice so we did the exact same thing.  The food was dropped off to the church basement.  Chicken, spaghetti, rolls etc..  $10/person, scouts were free.   All money covered costs.

I don't recall the price but the next year there was a chef in the group so they had a similar meal but he cooked everything in the church kitchen.

The year after that it was decided that a big meal was too much work and they kept it simple with a nice sheet cake and beverages.  The pack paid for the cake and there was no parent fee. 

Take a pole of the parents.  Give them a few options with estimated family cost and see what they say.  B&G should be about the scouts and a scout is thrifty so I like the cake only idea.  It's easy and fast so it takes less time from the volunteers/planners.

We did pot luck at both B&G and COHs. No cost with good food. The troop has done pizza for COHs and that went very well as well. If there is some cost, but not a lot, a donation jar tends to bring a balance. 

Barry