Our Cubmaster has completed his wood badge requirements and has his beading ceremony next month. Is it appropriate to give a small gift from my scout to celebrate his achievement?

He enjoys history and historical places so I was thinking of hunting him down an old cub scout book or book of old camp photos.

10 minutes ago, PinkPajamas said:

Our Cubmaster has completed his wood badge requirements and has his beading ceremony next month. Is it appropriate to give a small gift from my scout to celebrate his achievement?

He enjoys history and historical places so I was thinking of hunting him down an old cub scout book or book of old camp photos.

That sounds fine. I don't think Gifts are typical for completing Wood Badge, but if it's something small I don't think it'd be inappropriate or awkward. 

I would concur with @Sentinel947.  In our area, gifts are not typical nor expected for completing Wood Badge. But, if you'd like to present a small gift, I'm sure it would be meaningful to your Cubmaster. 

I have a Fieldbook presented to me as a gift by the den leader where I was a den chief as a Scout.  A different situation - I grant you.  But, it's something that sits on my bookshelf to this day and is meaningful to me.

We woodbadge earners are fairly simple folk. The favorite memento from my crew for my beading ceremony was a picture with the first and only venturer in my crew to earn a bronze award.

Even if you get him a book, I'm sure your CM would like a picture of him with your scouts as a bookmark!

12 hours ago, qwazse said:

Even if you get him a book, I'm sure your CM would like a picture of him with your scouts as a bookmark!

I knew the wise Owls (Foxes,Buffalos,Beavers...) would have a better idea. I have a photograph of his daughter and my daughter in their Bobcat paint that I know he likes, a framed copy would make a more personal token gift. :D

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

My preference to give and to receive is a donation to the council's scholarship fund for Wood Badge / NYLT.  Possibly the best gift possible in my mind - helping others to learn and grow. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1