Can a CO profit off a unit?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, almost. Last time I checked I was doing the labor AND paying for it. 

One of the tenants of Catholicism is that each of us has an obligation to attend Mass on Sunday unless grave circumstances would prevent it. Going camping does not typically constitute grave circumsta

I should think that a scouter would be familiar with that concept.

14 hours ago, Onslow said:

I feel you're completely missing the point.  Sectarian preaching is wholly inappropriate in the world of scouting imo.  Whatever happened to "A Scout is Kind"?

I once witnessed a hell fire sermon being preached at a camporee.  I'm a Baptist, and I regret not reporting this to the council as an inappropriate incident.

Like most of life...."it depends".

I would agree with you *IF* the "Sectarian preaching" was part of campwide activity, *IF* it was the only worship opportunity available, and *IF* it was announced as interdenominational.  

On the other hand, it's good to recognize the rights of other people to worship as they see fit, and to be respectful of their practices and traditions.

I attended a week long Winter Camp a couple years back at which a non-denominational interfaith worship service was provided by the camp in the main dining hall...."and oh, by the way, for those who would prefer a Catholic mass, Father O'Malley from St.Joseph church is here and has graciously offered to lead a traditional Sunday worship service over by the boathouse." 

I see zero problem with that because the sectarian option is simply that....an OPTION.  Great that the council's camp staff remembered that "A Scout is Reverent"!

I would be troubled by your camp's "hell fire sermon" only if scouts and scouters were told to go and were misled about what it would be (i.e., they were told it was "non denominational" when it clearly wasn't).  Just because somebody wants to practice a different brand of reverence than I buy, doesn't make it "an inappropriate incident". 

By the same token, I would have zero problem with a rabbi coming to celebrate a Jewish worship service or an iman coming to celebrate a Muslim service. Just be honest about what it is so I can opt out if I choose not to drink that flavor of Kool-Aid....and *DO* provide a more general non-denominational option for the rest of us.

Edited by mrkstvns
15 hours ago, Onslow said:

I feel you're completely missing the point.  Sectarian preaching is wholly inappropriate in the world of scouting imo.  Whatever happened to "A Scout is Kind"?

I once witnessed a hell fire sermon being preached at a camporee.  I'm a Baptist, and I regret not reporting this to the council as an inappropriate incident.

I disagree.  Sectarian preaching at the unit level is allowed.  It is rarely done, but it is allowed.  If my troop is sponsored by the local Catholic Church, I would expect a bit of Catholicism in it.  That said, there should be alternatives allowed for Scouts in the Troop.  

Edited by perdidochas
18 hours ago, Onslow said:

I think it matters a lot how the activity or time is being billed.  If a camp has Catholic Mass and I attend than I expect Catholicism.  If a camp says there's going to be a protestant service than I expect some version of Protestantism and y'all can fight about what that means.  The trouble comes when something is billed as nonsectarian or non denominational and it is not.  Our summer camp has a Sunday night vespers that is supposed to be non denominational, but they've had the same preacher doing it for years and it is distinctly protetstant/Christian.  I've spoken up about it without any change occurring.   I stopped going and told my scouts they can go if they want.  No scout should be compelled to, even by insinuation, attend a service that their parents wouldn't want them to attend.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2019 at 3:44 PM, T2Eagle said:

The trouble comes when something is billed as nonsectarian or non denominational and it is not.  Our summer camp has a Sunday night vespers that is supposed to be non denominational, but they've had the same preacher doing it for years and it is distinctly protetstant/Christian.  I've spoken up about it without any change occurring.   I stopped going and told my scouts they can go if they want.  No scout should be compelled to, even by insinuation, attend a service that their parents wouldn't want them to attend.

If a Christian pastor/preacher/priest is involved in a "non-denominational" service, all they mean is "Non-denominational Christian".

What you should actually be asking for is "Inter-faith" if you want more than simply Christian faiths to be either involved or accepted.

Fascinating, Captain.... Start out discussing Fundraising/working on behalf of the unit's CO and end up debating the merits of particular spiritual leanings....

Here are the choices I discuss in my IOLS section on "Scout's Own": 1) Nada. Religion is up to the family, not the Scout unit. Pack up and go home...  2)  If your group is of a particular faith, plan and execute your faith service accordingly. 3) if it is "mostly" Christian, or "mostly" something, (Interfaith, Non-denominational,  ) still tread politely and carefully.  4) What I call "spiritually mushy but suggestive".  Here we are in God's own cathedral /house of worship/etc. out in the woods....   

When I became a Jamboree Scout Chaplain, I used Father Mulcahy as my tutor.  I learned a lot about other faiths.  The Golden Rule is common, in one form or another ,  in every faith I have dealt with. 

I was once asked to organize a Interfaith Service for a camporee. I said, "do you mean a Scout's Own Service?"  and the PTB said "yeah, I guess that's what I mean".  I asked that they announce that all Unit Chaplain Aides meet with me at a certain time for 15 minutes.  Out of 35 Troops, I had eight  CAs come.  I handed them my "sample" Scout's Own from the IOLS course, said you boys are better at this than I am, we need a 15 or 20 minute spiritual, inspirational worship service. If you need me, I'll be around.  Those CAs had , I think, never worked together before. They hand copied some stuff, developed two "sermons" about Scouting and Earth Stewardship.  The Sunday morning service was sensitive,  thought provoking,  respectful and got thanks from many folks.