Charter is a 501(c)(3) - How to receive Donations ?

Question, as I am helping with some fundraising activities and this question was posed to our Troop.   Note:  I am not out soliciting donations or going door to door with my hand out.  However some "community friendly" businesses in the area want to step up and support our Troop and reached out on their own volition.

Our Charter is a 501(c)(3) organization.   For our discussion, it is called "ACME GROUP".   The gentleman who organized this is often hard to pin down and out of town on trips.  Hence my question here.

Lets call our Troop 123, "TROOP 123".   Historically, all checks/payments for popcorn sales/etc stuff are written to TROOP 123.

It is my understanding that for the local business/contributor to receive a tax deduction, the donation must be made in the name of the 501(c)(3) org, which is NOT our name.

Tell the donators to talk to their CPA and not worry about it at my level (just a Scout Parent trying to help out) ?   Have them write it to ACME GROUP and then transfer the money to our local Troop account ?

overthinking this ?

Thanks

I'll try. Because you're chartered by Acme you are part of Acme. Troop 123 is not an entity. So technically, writing a check to Troop 123 is the same as writing a check to Acme.

But to solve your problem, how much money are you talking about per donation? If it's small then there's really no need for receipts. If it's large then have Acme write a receipt to each donor. The donors just need proof of donation for their tax purposes. Or, if donors really want to write a check to someone with a recognized 501c3 name, as you said, have the donors write it to Acme and have acme transfer the money to Troop 123.

• Upvote 1

Yep, over thinking.   Any serious donations can/should be written to the Acme Group, and they (they !) are your charter org (speak to your DE)  so what's yours is theirs and so they should give unto the Troop.   If the donator is desirable of claiming the deduction, they should deal thru the CO, since the Troop is not the tax exempt entity, 

Most Troops just accept the donation, and hike along, since most folks aren't concerned so much about the legalities with tax deductions , " I was a Scout once, I don't really want any popcorn/wreath/carwash/sausage,  here's a twenty."  

Good luck and good Scouting. 

• Upvote 1

Yes you're over thinking it.  A check written to Troop 123, for $10 or $1000 is the same as a check written to ACME, a check written to CASH and handed to troop 123 is the same as a check written to 123 or ACME.  Assuming that ACME is OK with it all.

If someone wants to write a check, take it, write a nice note that says thank you for your donation of $xxx to Troop 123 on date XX/XX/YYYY.  Send a note to your CO with copies of everything.   

• Upvote 1