I'm new to being a den leader and not rehearsed on all the rules and regulations of scouts. The pack I'm currently in hardly ever does any activities related to scouts. Most meeting we sit around while our pack leader talks to parents. 

I want to plan an activity making first aid kits and how to use them. I have no way of purchasing enough material to supply the kids. Would I be able to approach a local pharmacy and obtain some material?

You would probably have more luck speaking to someone at a local hospital or ambulance company - or even the fire department rescue squad.  Many times they have expired items (don't ask how bandages expire...) that they can donate.  

• Thanks 1

I was going to suggest the same thing, maybe even have a EMT or first responder come in and help put them together. If a contact at a fire station or ambulance service does not pan out (which I am sure it will) then approach a pharmacy.

@Corbin, if you are a new den leader, get trained! Offer these kids scout experiences! Get outside, go on a hike, do fun stuff. Build a birdhouse, tour a police station, rehearse skits to preform. 

Sounds like you pack needs a new leader to breathe some life into it. Take the reigns and don’t be afraid.

• Thanks 1

first aid kits for cubs are pretty basic,

we discuss first aid, and provide 2 bandaids and 2 alchohol wipes in a small ziplock bags

for our den of 15 I basically pulled the bandaids and wipes from my current kits, 

at dollar store 1 box of bandaids and 1 box of wipes should be enough for most dens, 

also as others mentioned can have someone come in and discuss it, many police/fire departments will send someone out for such,

also some hospitals have such programs, and red cross has numerous programs like that

you can also reach out to parents see if any parents are involved in such, or know someone willing to come in for a lesson

Edited by Terasec

When I was a Tiger den leader we made Altoids tin first aid kits. Which was good for limiting what could go into them and also kind of fit the age of the group appropriately. Tigers really can't do much first aid beyond learning how to use a Band-Aid, so that's mostly what went into the kits.

I got parents to chip in to buy supplies. $5 per scout covered more than enough stuff. I asked scouts to bring their own container/tin, but I bought a few extra just in case.

Edited by FireStone
9 minutes ago, FireStone said:

When I was a Tiger den leader we made Altoids tin first aid kits. Which was good for limiting what could go into them and also kind of fit the age of the group appropriately. Tigers really can't do much first aid beyond learning how to use a Band-Aid, so that's mostly what went into the kits.

I got parents to chip in to buy supplies. $5 per scout covered more than enough stuff. I asked scouts to bring their own container/tin, but I bought a few extra just in case.

Interesting idea!  

The following article has a few other interesting ideas for re-purposing an Altoids tin....including survival kit, firebuilding kit, fishing tackle essentials, and several more. 

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/22-manly-ways-to-reuse-an-altoids-tin/ 

• Upvote 1

I am using Target Up and Up brand clear portion control snack sized (3.5x6") zip lock bags and trying to keep everything as flat as possible to easily fit in cargo pant side pockets or the outermost pocket of a backpack. There is not too much in each and I have yet to calculate the costs, but I suspect it could not be more than $6 each for the kids ($36 for the den). Bandaids of a few sizes, 3x3 Gauze pad, Wet One packet, Medi-first antiseptic wipe packet, Saftec antibiotic packet, Banana Boat Sunscreen packet, Walgreens bite and sting relief packet, popsicle stick wrapped in medical tape, and an emergency whistle. I carry a second zip lock snack pack that also contains folding scissors, toilet paper,  steri-strips, wound seal, Tylenol packet, Advil Packet, Benadryl Pill, Deep Woods Off Packet, and a tick removal key. The rest of the big stuff normally stays in the car. I got quite a list of things to add after BALOO training, but even then it will be one kit for the whole group. Sorry I cant help with the intent of the question which was how to obtain these materials for free. I slightly over funded my HSA account last year and decided to buy this stuff "out of pocket".  My cubmaster approaches businesses for donations quite a few times during the year, but I have never done this as a den leader. If I was to attempt something like this I would want to clear it through my CM (or someone else on the pack committee who is involved in this kind of stuff).