John-in-KC

2019 GUIDE TO SAFE SCOUTING

2 hours ago, MarkMilliron said:

They should have become Venturers. They can still be active youth in the OA. ;)

Some councils don't support venturing. I'll grant you the OA, but again, the council has to support the OA for it to be an option. 

On 2/26/2019 at 5:49 PM, Oldscout448 said:

Do we need to start  telling National to stop making it more and more difficult to deliver a program that even resembles  Scoutimg?    

That would be nice. While I am concerned about Scout safety, some of the rules are getting out of hand. I have given up trying to get scouts excited about lashing since we can't make much that is exciting. When I was 10 I went to camp and helped make a 40 foot signal tower. It captured my imagination and drove me to learn knots which I had previously struggled with. I learned to deal with water because I had so much fun canoeing. 

They need to look at the hard reality that scouting is NOT seen as relevant to more and more youth and parents. The fact is that the world doesn't care what us cheerleaders say. They evaluate based on their criteria.

• Upvote 1

I often reflect on what Mike Row had to say when asked about the decision to admit girls- he highlighted the more pressing issue that the BSA, and all of those in it, should be focused on - is the BSA even relevant? If you never read this, or haven't re-read it since last May, give it a look: http://mikerowe.com/2018/05/otw-death-of-the-boy-scouts/

"If I were calling the shots, I’d take a stand against the safe space movement and everything it embodies. And I’d do it in the most public way possible. But of course, that might also require a level of risk completely inconsistent with current orthodoxy."

On 2/24/2019 at 8:34 PM, walk in the woods said:

Yes.  From the G2SS FAQ

Q.  If only one leader shows up, does that mean we have to cancel the meeting or activity? 

A. Yes.  This policy is in place to prevent abuse in and out of Scouting.   Adults should never be alone with youth who are not their children. 

So even the BSA documentation is mixing up the rules and reasons. 

2 Deep Leadership isn't to prevent abuse, it's to insure there is backup for the adult leader.  "No 1 on 1 contact" is to prevent abuse.  If this was an "abuse prevention" rule, then it would tell us that no adult can ever be out of the view of another adult.

• Upvote 1