URGENT: Change to Online Youth Protection Training

8 hours ago, WAKWIB said:

I took it in August 2018.  This news kinda raises an interest in taking the next version.  I thought the current one was quite an improvement over previous iterations.

My understanding is that the new YPT3 will include the May 2018 YP changes that went into effect October 1, 2018.

This was posted by someone as a reply...

"This update will include new policies and procedures implemented since the course was first released in February, 2018, however our Youth Protection and Health and Safety policies, guidelines and procedures are continually being updated and revised. The on-line version of the GTSS is the single most up to date source of our commitment to Safe Scouting.

Youth Protection certifications will continue to be valid for a two year period.

When the course update is complete, four new VOLUNTARY modules will be added and will be available under the “VOLUNTARY programs.” These include:
1. Physical Abuse
2. Neglect
3. Emotional Abuse
4. Witnessing Violence
These new, VOLUNTARY modules will provide leaders with knowledge about other forms of abuse."

On 2/11/2019 at 7:55 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

My understanding is that the new YPT3 will include the May 2018 YP changes that went into effect October 1, 2018.

I probably will just go ahead and take it,  even though technically  I'm good till 2020.  

A bit off topic:  Although I'm considered "trained" for my committee member position (per my dashboard on my scouting) they have added quite a bit of new optional training for that position targeted at the new Scouts BSA model. So, I'll probably invest some time in completing those modules.

Where I'm at in terms of time and availability,  online training is great.  I'm totally cool with learning stuff at 2am.😆

Edited by WAKWIB

I am going to wait until the syllabi for all the new classes to come out and I have to teach it. In my neck of the woods, internet speeds are so problematic that some folks took over 4 hours to do the YPT2 class online. And instead of online training improving our numbers, they have fallen drastically.

4 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

... In my neck of the woods, internet speeds are so problematic that some folks took over 4 hours to do the YPT2 class online. And instead of online training improving our numbers, they have fallen drastically.

Wow!  Are those old fashioned dial-up connections??

I did YPT2 online and everything behaved well. Probably took about 40 minutes total for me to get into compliance with the new material. (And the material WAS an improvement...)

21 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

I did YPT2 online and everything behaved well. Probably took about 40 minutes total for me to get into compliance with the new material. (And the material WAS an improvement...)

Did you complete all four modules? In my district, 90 minutes was the minimum.

2 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

Maybe internet service providers are throttling  YP online training along with Youtube and Netflix!  :(

Edited by RememberSchiff
3 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

Actually yes they are. I am fortunate in that my town created a high speed internet utility company because other providers were ignoring the area. They met their 5 year growth  goals in about 9 months because they are that good, and reasonably priced too. They were slowly expanding into the county as people were begging them for high speed internet access. Unfortunately the lobbyists for the major internet providers got laws passed in my state to prohibit them from expanding outside of existing areas. So the rest of the county is out of luck. And the big time providers still won't come into the rural areas as it is "cost prohibitive." 

49 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Maybe internet service providers are throttling  YP online training along with Youtube and Netflix!  :(

People wish they could get Netflix and Youtube.

• John-in-KC unfeatured and unpinned this topic