Flags for a short ceiling

First off, probably the wrong form choice, but whatever...

We meet in a church's basement, and the ceiling is probably 7 foot with exposed heat pipes that have a six and a half(ish) clearance.

So what do you recommend for our American and troop flags?  I almost thought about getting the regular height poles, and cutting down the lower pole piece.  Do you know if you can get extra lower pieces?  It would be nice to switch back to a full height pole for camping and parades.

And I am assuming the 'Traditional" size flag is the 3x5?

Thanks for any input.

One unit I have spent time visiting with also meets in a church basement with similar height restriction.  They had flag stands made (some one knew someone that had welding equipment), such that the stand is a roughly 18" x 18" piece of 1/4" steel that has a 2 inch diameter pipe welded to it at about a 60 degree angle to the base.  That allows them to use a regular length pole.

5 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

One unit I have spent time visiting with also meets in a church basement with similar height restriction.  They had flag stands made (some one knew someone that had welding equipment), such that the stand is a roughly 18" x 18" piece of 1/4" steel that has a 2 inch diameter pipe welded to it at about a 60 degree angle to the base.  That allows them to use a regular length pole.

Angled stand? I didn't even think of that option! thank you!

• Upvote 1

We have the same problem but with ceiling fans. It's fine when the flag is in the stand but the color guard hasn't always been fully aware of the situation when marching to the front of the room. 

I bought a few feet of 1-1/4" dowel from Home Depot and another screw joint online. I fitted the screw joints to the new lowers and stained the wood to match the old poles. By flipping the joint on one flag upside down, you can use one new screw joint for two flags--one new lower is threaded female, and the other is male.

And now we have a troop flag that barely clears five feet indoors but towers over all others at district camporee assemblies.

I had to reduce the diameter of the dowels to make them fit into the couplings. I can't remember if I used a router or a drawknife. Either will work.