Post your great ebay/thrift/yardsale finds

I thought it may be neat to see what other uniform stuff people are finding out there, whether it be at a yardsale, on ebay, or at a thrift store.

Here's a Cub Scout shirt jac I saw on ebay. I actually didn't bid, but I was watching it and someone won it at the last minute with a $49 minimum bid. I think it was a boys size 10, I'd love to have one of these in an adult size.

I did win these khaki shorts (pics should be below), which I assume are from the 90's era "activity uniform." They are basically identical to the green ODL shorts, but just khaki in color rather than olive. New with tags still attached, I won them for $11. Not sure what I'll use them for, but they were my size so I figured what the heck.

So, post your interesting finds!

cubshirtjac.jpg

bsakhakishorts.jpg

bsakhakishorts2.jpg

• Upvote 1

@VWThing, great finds!

Re the shorts:  I've got several pairs of that style.  All from ebay, very cheap.  Varying colors and pocket schemes from the '80s and '90s.  They wear like iron!  Good for hot weather situations, dust, dirt, cooking bacon, whathaveyou.

PS Added:  I wear these shorts in all kinds of weather and outdoor scenarios, not caring what happens to them nor treating them with any kindness.  Thus far, none have failed.  The only limiting factor so far is carrying a comb in the backpocket.  Something about the comb and the square shape of the pocket lends to the comb eventually puncturing the pocket seam.

Edited by desertrat77

I have only purchased my first Den leader shirt and convertible pants at full price at the scout shop.

Since then, I have grown to 8 shirts for me, 2 for my daughter, and 2 for my son, and combined 8 pairs of pants from ebay, craglist, facebook, and clearance at the scout shop.    I think the most I have paid for a newer style shirt was $20 shipped. 

I also got the red jacshirt when they went on huge clearance awhile back, before they caught on and put them back to $80

I’ve never seen those shorts before! That’s cool.

I’ve been using eBay recently to recover some local camp patches that I’ve lost over time. I netted a few from the early days of the camp before I was born, which is neat, and recently won a neckerchief with a map of the camp printed on it. In 25+ years, I’d never heard tell of such a necker so I’m looking forward to getting my hands on it.

I’ve also found that one trick to survival is having them delivered to your work rather than to your house so one’s spouse doesn’t say with a sigh, “You’ve got ANOTHER of your patches in the mail again ...”

My all time favorite estate sale find was on the last day of a 3-day sale and everything was 50% off. There was not much left, but in the basement was a dusty bookshelf with a few raggedy looking books. To make this long story short, I purchased a 1911 first edition Boy Scout Handbook for 25-cents!

• Upvote 3

I lost a lot of stuff that was at my mom's house in Hurricane Katrina:patches, jackets, etc. From a collector's side I was able to find a 1995 WSJ necker and patch with one auction.

The most meaningful one for me though was the Brownsea 22 patch.

Best one was the result of several auctions over several months. And that was my wife's 1950s/60s blue Den Mother's uniform dress.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

At our district's Camporees/Camporalls, we have a wonderful elderly Scouter who sets up a booth with a MASSIVE collection of Scouting memorabilia that he sells at incredibly low prices. Last time he had a plaid jacket like the one above in perfect condition for only $20, but sadly the size was an adult's large and I am an adult small at best. Maybe at the next event he'll have one my size, but I never walk away from his stand empty handed - the good gentleman all but gives away treasure after treasure, charging little more than pocket change for it all because he wants the kids in our Scouting community to feel they have a chance at finding items they will prize and cherish forever. I make sure all my boys spend time there so that they can explore and appreciate Scouting's long and storied history, and now they look forward to scouring that booth more than almost any other activities offered at these events. They've become quite the little band of connoisseurs too! 

• Like 1