poly/rayon/wool shirt?

I went to the local scout shop and was rather disappointed at the shirt choices.  The new Scouts BSA shirts were not in, and anyway appear (online) only to come in cotton-blend.   The polyester microfiber was very soft and drapey and felt (and looked) rather pajama-like.  I tend to like nylon hiking shirts, but BSA doesn't seem to make nylon shirts any more.  (Maybe I'll find one on ebay some day.)  But what about the poly/rayon/wool? (65% polyester, 25% rayon and 10% wool ) For those of you who have it, do you like the shirt?  Is this a practical blend for the outdoors?  (I know wool is often good, alone,  and polyester is generally fine, but I am unfamiliar with the rayon).  Is it quick drying?   How hot or cool of a shirt is this? Has it stood up well to machine-washing without much coddling?

https://www.scoutshop.org/boy-scout-mens-long-sleeve-polyester-wool-shirt-609191.html

They got rid of all those worthless pockets! Good for they. Now all I need to do is leave off all the patches and it could be useful outdoors. I'd be happy with the floppy shirts while camping.

I went and read some of the comments. It sounds like they're all a size too big.

I've looked at these a couple of times.  The folks at the Scout Shop told me that they do require dry cleaning.  That was a deal breaker for me and I opted for the poly-cotton.

If someone has a different experience - I'd be interested to hear.

11 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

they do require dry cleaning

Even though they say they are machine washable?  Or only if you want to look dressed-for-court-of-honor sharp and not dressed for camping?

I've machine-washed a fair amount of dry-clean-only wool,  generally sucessfully.   Cold water and line dry.

58 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

Even though they say they are machine washable?  Or only if you want to look dressed-for-court-of-honor sharp and not dressed for camping?

I've machine-washed a fair amount of dry-clean-only wool,  generally sucessfully.   Cold water and line dry.

That's what I get for not reading the tags.  Bummer!

Thank you very much for correcting my misunderstanding.

On ebay I found a new long sleeve centennial shirt for 15 dollars.  This is my outdoor shirt to use/abuse.  So far, so good.

I wish there were long sleeve Venture shirts.  I've looked for the old green Explorer shirts, but all I can find are small sizes. 

What happens when you wash and dry something with 10% wool? All my wool things have a lot and while I can wash them on gentle I just let them dry on a rack like thing. Anyway, is this why they say dry clean? I would never dry clean a scout uniform. Using an iron is hard enough.

10 hours ago, qwazse said:

Bless your heart for wanting to uniform in the out of doors!

I want not just the scouters to wear uniforms out-of-doors, I want the scouts to wear them, too!   How else will the general public recognize that these girls are now Boy Scouts?   (A Class B t-shirt won't quite do it,  that might make them look like tag-alongs and sisters of scouts.)

• Upvote 1

I've never met a scouting unit that requires the scouts to wear a Class A while on an outdoor activity, other than for a formal parade or flag presentation.  At that, being in New England, the weather is often at a level where being outdoors is going to require wearing a coat, so you wouldn't see the uniform anyway.  Additionally, that's often quite a lot to ask parents to have two uniforms for their kid, a short sleeve and a long sleeve.  Especially when they are young and may only get a year out them before thy need to size up.  Maybe look into getting troop sweatshirts as opposed to just t-shirts- or, get long sleeve t-shirts that they can  wear under the short sleeve uniform, which is what I see most scouts doing. 

2 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

I've never met a scouting unit that requires the scouts to wear a Class A while on an outdoor activity, other than for

We plan to encourage rather than require.   And peer pressure may help. 

5 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

that's often quite a lot to ask parents to have two uniforms for their kid, a short sleeve and a long sleeve

Why both long-sleeve and short-sleeve?  You can wear the long-sleeve year round, rolling up sleeves if needed.   Besides it mean not needing to put icky sunscreen lotion all over your arms. 

3 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

long sleeve t-shirts that they can  wear under the short sleeve uniform

I've seen the boys doing this.   It looks sloppy. 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

Especially when they are young and may only get a year out them before thy need to size up

Over half our girls are teens and may already be full height.   Certainly some are taller than I am. 

16 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

I've never met a scouting unit that requires the scouts to wear a Class A while on an outdoor activity, other than for a formal parade or flag presentation.

Son's Troop is doing just that tomorrow. Outdoor service project for a business. Class A's will let any lookie-loos know its Scouts and not a bunch of boys messing around on private property.  Being proud of their uniforms makes it an ever easier call. 😉

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Treflienne said:

I've seen the boys doing this.   It looks sloppy. 

I’ve never once owned a LS Scout shirt. I think they look ridiculous when sleeves are worn down, and the long sleeves rolled up for summer looks even sillier. It’s really not a multifunctional shirt in that respect.

Wearing a long sleeved shirt under a SS uniform shirt is absolutely the way to go as long as the colors are cordinated - all green or all red or all navy blue, for example, matching the troop colors.

• Upvote 1