Pan de Campo (Dutch oven)

No collection of Dutch oven camp recipes can ever be complete without at least several recipes for authentic Pan de Campo.

What's that?  You've never heard of Pan de Campo!

Clearly you are not a real Texan. After all, in a rare showing of bipartisan unity, the Texas State Legislature passed a bill in 2005 naming Pan de Campo the "Official State Bread of Texas".  Here's how to make it in a Dutch oven.

INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (regular milk would work too)
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil

DIRECTIONS
Prepare your coals and pre-heat your Dutch oven. Mix all dry ingredients. Mix in buttermilk and oil. Mix.  Roll out dough in circle to fit your Dutch oven. Put in Dutch Oven and bake about 7 minutes. Rotate Dutch oven and bake 7 more minutes. Check for doneness. 

VARIATION
Although Pan de Campo has always been made in a Dutch oven, the editors of Texas Monthly magazine figured that a lot of city folk in places like Houston or Dallas might be more comfortable with a GE oven than a Dutch oven, so they published a recipe that lends itself to modern kitchens.  Such a thing is heresy, of course, so I won't repeat it, but if you want to see it for yourself, it's here: https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/recipe-for-pan-de-campo/ 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Chisos said:

Had to re-read that recipe a couple times because it looked like they were using WAY too much flour etc.  I was far into the directions before I saw that they were cooking in EIGHT Dutch ovens!  Well, I guess that would be the way you do it if you're at the King Ranch...

• Like 1