What is "written word"? (BSA Interpreter Strip)

I was looking at the requirements for the BSA Interpreter Strip, and requirement 4 says:  "Translating 200 words from the written word."

What the heck does that mean?

I interpret it to mean that a scout can interpret ANYTHING he finds in writing....whether it be from a book, a newspaper, a magazine....whatever.

A fellow scouter tells me that it means "from scripture".  

What's your take?  

See:  https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-019_WB.pdf 

Declaration of Religious Principle

The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God and, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member, but it is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious training. Its policy is that the home and organization or group with which a member is connected shall give definite attention to religious life. Only persons willing to subscribe to this Declaration of Religious Principle and to the Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America shall be entitled to certificates of membership.

In line with the "absolutely nonsectarian" part of the Declaration of Religious Principle,  the interpreter strip requirments could not mean "from scripture".

Besides, the other steps are conversation, translation of a speech, writing a letter. Translating something written rounds this out nicely.

I'm kind of uncertain about Requirement 2 as well. (Translating a speech.)

Is it okay to take an English language speech and translate to another language, or should it be a speech in another language that is being translated TO English.  

Since the requirement just says to translate a 2-minute speech, I assume the scout can decide for himself which way he wants to go.

6 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

By the way,  I'd want to steer clear of having the kid translate something from the bible.  Too easy for him to pick a passage that he already has memorized in English.

I'm sure you mean any book or document he might have read in the past. 

Barry

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I'm sure you mean any book or document he might have read in the past. 

Yup.   Anything that has been previously translated to or from English, and with which he is already familiar with the English version.   

Typically, written word translation tests involve reading something in middle-level language. (I.e., what you might read in a everyday context. Prescriptions are often cited as a good example.) "from the written" means the writing is in the language that is foreign to the student, and the resulting translation is into the student's academic tongue (which, at times, can be different than the student's native language).

People are over-analyzing this.  IF the scout is going for the "Deutsch" strip, as I did, hand him something he has never seen before, such as a magazine, book or newspaper written in German and ask him to translate it.  Do the requirement.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

• Upvote 3
18 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

A fellow scouter tells me that it means "from scripture". 

I think the requirements are referring to "the written word" and not "the written word." Maybe "in writing" would be better.

18 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

I'm kind of uncertain about Requirement 2 as well. (Translating a speech.) 

And this requirement refers to the spoken word as opposed to a famous speech written down.

You have to admit, given that the requirements are about understanding language, it sure shows how complicated that can get. :)

28 minutes ago, MattR said:

And this requirement refers to the spoken word as opposed to a famous speech written down.

You have to admit, given that the requirements are about understanding language, it sure shows how complicated that can get. :)

Yep. This is a very educational thread. Almost ironic.

Barry