BACKPACKING: Breakfast

Breakfast has to be the easiest and least expensive meal for a scout to do while backpacking.  No need for the expensive freeze-dried meals because every grocery store in America sells instant oatmeal for about $2 for 10 packages.

Add some raisins and nuts to improve the calories and add some flavor.

A great option is to add freeze-dried strawberries or other fruit. This can be expensive at most stores, but our local Dollar Tree has .7 ounce packs of freeze-dried strawberries for their usual price of $1. There's much nutritional value to these, but it does add another 60 calories to the oatmeal. Great in the Strawberries and Cream flavor...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A guy in our troop went backpacking with us and convinced me that daily protein is an important number when going for more than a weekend. I felt much better on that trip at the end. For a strenuous t

The southern alternative to this is grits. (although you shouldn't put freeze-dried fruits in it).

Maybe not, but grits are mighty tasty when you boost up the calories by adding butter, chese, and crumbled bacon.

Posted Images

17 hours ago, perdidochas said:

The southern alternative to this is grits. (although you shouldn't put freeze-dried fruits in it).

Maybe not, but grits are mighty tasty when you boost up the calories by adding butter, chese, and crumbled bacon.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Repeat after me:

"There is no meal so mediocre.....

"That it cannot be improved with ketchup."  

Even grits.  

Despite spending all but the first 8 months of my scouting tenure below the Mason Dixon Line, I have yet to find anything that will make grits edible.  The name alone is enough to make my stomach roil.

Edited by MikeS72
  • Haha 1

A guy in our troop went backpacking with us and convinced me that daily protein is an important number when going for more than a weekend. I felt much better on that trip at the end. For a strenuous trip the recommended amount is 1 gr per kilo of body weight per day. For normal activities it's 0.8. The difference between the expensive and cheap dehydrated foods are the amount of protein. 

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, MattR said:

...the recommended amount is 1 gr per kilo of body weight per day. For normal activities it's 0.8. 

I'll take your word for it.

Since I like adding bacon to my grits, and I weigh about 85kg, and based on a nutrition facts label that tells me 1 medium slice of bacon gives me just under 3 gr of protein....I'm left to conclude that I should add about 28 slices of bacon to my morning grits.

Sounds like good advice to me!!!!

image.png.63d01fcfd3d5f9be2519d203b44f4fe5.png

Edited by mrkstvns
43 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

conclude that I should add about 28 slices of bacon to my morning grits.

Yes, but that means you only get to eat salad the rest of the day :) But you do get to add probably 5 slices. And that's the only way I could handle grits. Well, a lot of butter works as well. I'm sure peanut butter would work as well.