How might you proceed?

Here's the situation:   a local non-profit organization has an BIG annual event. When I say BIG, I mean thousands of people attend over a weekend. Games, stuff to buy, entertainment, food, history re-enacted, etc. etc.  I attended the planning session, and yes, there will be a Scout presence, but that is not the issue here...

A local Scout Troop has separately volunteered to direct traffic in the parking area. It is across the street from the event area, and there is one safe, allowed  crosswalk (police/crossing guards) across the road to the event area.  This Troop plans to put out a basket and "encourage" folks to "pay" for their parking direction.  The Scout leader I spoke to  was very honest about asking for this.   They did the same thing last year, and when I approached the Scout leader about BSA not allowing the asking for donations, he said  they were asking folks to pay for their "service".  I still think this is asking for donations.  

No, there is no charge to enter the parking lot.   There is an admission charge into the event area, AFTER you cross the road.  

When I approached the non-profit about my concern, I told them they could pay the Troop for their service (there is precedent for this in our area), they said that this was their fund raiser, they had no idea they should pay a Scout unit for this service when the Troop had volunteered to do it. 

I have an email into my DE about this.  Comments? 

Edited by SSScout
13 hours ago, SSScout said:

This Troop plans to put out a basket and "encourage" folks to "pay" for their parking direction.

13 hours ago, SSScout said:

No, there is no charge to enter the parking lot. 

My biggest concern is that people will be confused and think that they are paying for parking. 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, SSScout said:

... he said  they were asking folks to pay for their "service".  I still think this is asking for donations.  

Hmmm.  Maybe. Maybe not.  His viewpoint isn't patently ridiculous, so I think it's wiser to chalk it up as a judgment call and to just go about your business.

Definitely a bad move to argue about it with the big local non-profit and a worse move to escalate to the DE.  It's honestly not that big a deal, and certainly NOT worth making an enemy of your fellow scouters in other troops nor with non-profit volunteers in your community. 

IMHO, building bridges is a wiser course of action than burning them...

• Upvote 3
45 minutes ago, David CO said:

My biggest concern is that people will be confused and think that they are paying for parking. 

I can see that becoming a problem. Especially if people think you're watching the parking lot while the event is going on. If any cars get damaged or broken into, somebody might make a claim that your scout troop created a "bailment" and should pay for any damages.