Military Event for Scout Troops (May 2019) - Army Cadets Xperience - Fort McCoy, WI

The Army Cadets Xperience registration is now open for Scout Troops to register.  The Army Cadets Xperience is a weekend long military experience for Scouts, held May 17-19, 2019 at Fort McCoy Army Installation in Tomah, WI.  The event provides a realistic military experience to Scouts and Scouters including living in the barracks, eating in the dining hall, training including modified versions on camouflaging, drill and ceremony, grenade course, weapons familiarization, hands-on military equipment familiarization, Meals Ready to Eat (MRE), physical fitness, platoon competitions and so much more.  There is nothing like this anywhere else.  Check it out at www.gocadets.org and see how to register.  You can also download the attached flyer.

Army Cadets Xperience 2019 _ Fort McCoy, WI.pdf

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

Sounds pretty fun.  I wonder how many of these military related experiences are available.  The only one I've been aware of is the Ranger Camp --- a high adventure summer camp for older scouts operated by Northeast Georgia Council.

• Upvote 1
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, mrkstvns said:

Sounds pretty fun.  I wonder how many of these military related experiences are available.  The only one I've been aware of is the Ranger Camp --- a high adventure summer camp for older scouts operated by Northeast Georgia Council.

Yes sounds like fun, too far for us though.  I am aware of activities at West Point and Annapolis.  Troop has been to a West Point activity, had fun but it was very crowded.  Navy's is STEM related, haven't done it yet.

https://www.facebook.com/ScoutmastersCouncil/

https://www.facebook.com/USNABoyScoutJamboree/

Coastguard also. don't know anything about this one.

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2017/01/boy-scouts-get-hands-on-experience-at-coast-guard-academy/

Edited by thrifty
adding
  • Thanks 1

The Annapolis one was amazing when I was a Scout. We had a blast! It may have changed, but back then it was about 30% getting an intro to boring science-based merit badges (sorry, Atomic Energy, I never knew nor earned ya), 60% walking wide-eyed around the Academy and idolizing the middies leading us, and 10% watching hockey and yelling “GO NAVY!”

We created this event 20 yrs ago with no knowledge of those events.  Our event is full immersion, its like you joined the military.  From the minute you arrive the Drill Sergeants (Cadets) whisk you away to in processing, then barracks followed by 1st formation.  The Scouts eat, sleep, breathe military.  The first few hours is intense for most but safe and appropriate.  They spend the weekend training in military sciences, handling the equipment, learning skills, and really getting an experience most will never get.  Its a pretty amazing weekend for only $50. all inclusive with all meals, MRE's, equipment, housing, transportation, shirt, jacket, cinch pack and water bottle.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BBLAHNIK said:

We created this event 20 yrs ago with no knowledge of those events.  Our event is full immersion, its like you joined the military.  From the minute you arrive the Drill Sergeants (Cadets) whisk you away to in processing, then barracks followed by 1st formation.  The Scouts eat, sleep, breathe military.  The first few hours is intense for most but safe and appropriate.  They spend the weekend training in military sciences, handling the equipment, learning skills, and really getting an experience most will never get.  Its a pretty amazing weekend for only $50. all inclusive with all meals, MRE's, equipment, housing, transportation, shirt, jacket, cinch pack and water bottle.  

I can move your entire post to another forum here on scouter.com if you like. Some great info here.

RS

2 hours ago, BBLAHNIK said:

That really does sound like an outstanding experience.  My son is talking about how he thinks the military might be a good career path....too bad we don't have an event like this in Texas (not that I've ever heard of anyway....)

Do you know of similar weekend immersion programs like the one you're doing in WI??

Nope, no buzz cut.  The purpose is to teach Scouts what its like to be in the military, build respect for what our men and women do in the Armed Forces.  Career Exploration at its best.    The Cadets are an Exploring unit that focuses on military careers.