World Crest

Can you wear the world crest without wearing a uniform?

Why do I ask?  Because the girls' uniforms are not yet in at our local scout shop.  And our girls will be registered as of two days from now.  And they (or at least one of them) wants to be able to show her membership in the WOSM even though she won't yet have a uniform.  (I think she envisions temporarily attaching it with a safety pin to her ordinary clothing.)

Is there any requirement to do anything to earn that world crest?

I know the badge police won't like it, but I would encourage that enthusiasm, light that fire, don't damp it down. Let her wear the badge until the uniform is sorted. Why not?

Or I guess it's an opportunity to express how it's what's inside that counts, that being scout-like doesn't rely on badges and uniform, it's just what you do. Or something.

Sorry, I've probably not helped.

Edited by ianwilkins
  • Thanks 1

Buy the crest, stitch it to the neckerchief, learn the friendship knot ... then to make a woggle or carve a slide ... have fun until those unifoms come in.

In doing so, you will help a stranger make it to Jamboree 170 days from now, bring their leader to my campsite, and give him/her the best cup of coffee this nation has to offer.:cool:

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Treflienne said:

Can you wear the world crest without wearing a uniform?

Why do I ask?  Because the girls' uniforms are not yet in at our local scout shop.  And our girls will be registered as of two days from now.  And they (or at least one of them) wants to be able to show her membership in the WOSM even though she won't yet have a uniform.  (I think she envisions temporarily attaching it with a safety pin to her ordinary clothing.)

It strikes me that in two days, we'll have female Scouts BSA for the first time in our history.  If the uniforms were available, that would be one thing.  But, since they are not - I think you should feel absolutely free to improvise in whatever way makes it exciting and special for those new scouts.  I definitly think this is one of those "big picture" times where doing what makes sense is a great way to go.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
On 1/30/2019 at 6:55 AM, ianwilkins said:

Is there any requirement to do anything to earn that world crest?

It is my understanding that it is worn by all youth and adult members of BSA, and there is no requirement for a scout to do anything to earn the right to wear it.  https://www.scouting.org/international/information-sheets/22-330/

I have already read, here on scouter forum,  that in the past BSA did have requirements for wearing it.

• Thanks 1

World Crest, cloth, No. 143; worn by all registered youth members and adult leaders to symbolize membership in the World Scouting movement; centered horizontally over left pocket and vertically between left shoulder seam and top of pocket. (guide to uniforms and insignia)

Thats the rule for where to wear it on the uniform. I really wouldn't worry about it for the relatively short period till uniforms come in. The absolute worst thing to do with an enthusiastic new member is to get annoyingly uniform policeesque when the real problem is the actual supply of uniforms.

@malraux, @qwazse , @MattR, @The Latin Scot   , 

Thanks for the neckerchief idea.  It seems like a very good idea.   If the girls were going to be wearing the same neckerchief as the boys troop to which they are linked, then I think I would do that.   However, at least some of the girls think that they should pick their own custom neckerchief (a large, square neckerchief).   And they have not yet had a chance to design that yet.  (First official meeting next week after they officially become scouts tomorrow!)

I think that I will give them the World Crest, and also their new Scouts BSA handbooks.   (Assuming the handbooks arrive in time.  They are not in yet at the local council store, but I have them on order from the national scout shop.)  Hopefully it will not be long till the local scout shop gets the shirts and the girls can go and try them out for size.

I really appreciate your feedback.   It is really helpful for me to be able to sound y'all out on some of my possibly crazy ideas.                              

8 hours ago, Treflienne said:

... However, at least some of the girls think that they should pick their own custom neckerchief (a large, square neckerchief).   And they have not yet had a chance to design that yet.  (First official meeting next week after they officially become scouts tomorrow!)....

The best idea is the one the youth think of! Definitely give the 3'x3' necker a go!

• Haha 1