Mountain Man Breakfast

There are dozens of variations on the classic Mountain Man Breakfast, but the basics have been around for decades. This is a hearty breakfast of eggs, meat and potatoes, topped with cheese and baked for 30-45 minutes in a Dutch oven. It's great for cold weather campouts and any time you have hungry morning appetities to feed.

Ingredients:
1 pound roll of pork sausage
5-6 strips of bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 pounds frozen hash browns (shredded)
1 dozen eggs, beaten
1 8 oz. package shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Cook sausage, bacon, and onions in cast iron Dutch oven until sausage is browned and onions are transparent. Add red and green bell peppers and hash brown potatos. Cook about 15 minutes. Pour beaten eggs into Dutch oven. Cover and place 6-9 coals underneat and 12 to 18 coals on top. Bake 40 minutes or until eggs are firm. Sprinkle with cheese, cover, and continue cooking about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Variations:

• Use Ore Ida's O'Brien potatoes instead of 1) hash browns, 2) onion, 3) bell peppers.
  • Use sage, hot or another flavor of sausage
  • Add some chopped linked sausage (I like venison sausage, jalapeno garlic, etc.)

I grew up on the mountain breakfast as a scout. It was a breakfast favorite. But we never used the dutch oven. We did it all in a pot on the fire. Took about 20 minutes if we brown the potatoes with the sausage. Saved 10 minutes if we boiled the potatoes the night before and three them with the eggs. Mmmm mmm. Now my son cooks them for his family. 

Barry