On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:28 PM, Mom2Scout said:

Our troop has two packs from which they get their Scouts.  Recruitment is us showing up at orientation and school events and being available.  Have your AOLs recruiting their friends.  Many think you have to be a cub scout to be a Scout.  My kid has been recruiting females for the female troop we stood up in February. 

What you could do is borrow some older Scouts from another troop that can talk to all the kids about Scouting adventures they do.  Your DE might be able to help you find some Scouts eager to help you out.  

Good luck!

Wow, that's great that you get to pull from 2 Packs. I'm finding out that some units get a little territorial when you show up and start recruiting in an area where they previously had a monopoly. But well do the schmoozing part and well see how it goes. We have our Commissioner and District Executive assisting as well. 

1 hour ago, roberthynesii said:

Wow, that's great that you get to pull from 2 Packs. I'm finding out that some units get a little territorial when you show up and start recruiting in an area where they previously had a monopoly. But well do the schmoozing part and well see how it goes. We have our Commissioner and District Executive assisting as well. 

I don't see why a troop should feel territorial about it....unless, perhaps, they're chartered by the same organization and share a unit number.

Even still, any troop worth its salt will know that the most effective recruiting tool in the long term is a great program. The troop that gets the bridging webelos will be the troop that delivers on its promise of outdoor adventure while providing a fun environment where advancement is enabled and supported.

I don't get the territorial thing either.  It is up to the Scouts to do their research and figure out which troop will fit them best.  It should never be assumed they will go anywhere in particular.  We do things like take Webelos camping, usually two times a year, host a Webelos night, invite Cubbies to our flag retirement ceremony.  Den chiefs help, too.

I agree that the program will sell the troop. But right now we don't have a program. We are just standing up. Committee is in place , Scoutmaster is ready and willing. We just need the Scouts. The problem I was describing, is the other Scout Troop in the area currently pulls from our Cub Pack and its Sister Pack as well. So we would be elbowing in and possibly taking some of their numbers.  No conflicts yet. Hopefully everyone will cooperate. The point being introducing Scouts to as many Young People as we can. 

18 minutes ago, Mom2Scout said:

I don't get the territorial thing either.  It is up to the Scouts to do their research and figure out which troop will fit them best.  

Very common with both packs and troops. I was called more than once by the district to help settle units squabbling over territories. Recruiting for most units is a challenge because the skills required aren't common of most adults. Units like the families to initiate the recruiting process because that requires very little effort. Some adults just have a hard time marketing and selling their program.

Barry

4 minutes ago, roberthynesii said:

I agree that the program will sell the troop. But right now we don't have a program. We are just standing up. Committee is in place , Scoutmaster is ready and willing. We just need the Scouts. The problem I was describing, is the other Scout Troop in the area currently pulls from our Cub Pack and its Sister Pack as well. So we would be elbowing in and possibly taking some of their numbers.  No conflicts yet. Hopefully everyone will cooperate. The point being introducing Scouts to as many Young People as we can. 

I would suggest asking to visit Webelos at one of their den meetings to observe. That is a good place to talk with the leader and market your program. If you lead the discussion right, you can learn a lot of what they want from a troop and what the other troop isn't providing.

Barry

2 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I would suggest asking to visit Webelos at one of their den meetings to observe. That is a good place to talk with the leader and market your program. If you lead the discussion right, you can learn a lot of what they want from a troop and what the other troop isn't providing.

Barry

That's a great idea. I will definitely bring it up to the group. We have a meeting with the local churches to try and engage the local population. We have fliers going out to the schools. We had talked about arranging a night to have the Weblos visit, but on ONSITE meeting at the Cub Pack would do wonders as well.