Hi, our Troop is sending 2 crews to Sea Base in July 2019, Keys Adventure, and it's the first time our Troop has gone to Sea Base.  We've booked air fare and Blue Sky Adventures (easy button).  Any tips, hints, do's or don'ts?

Thanks!

Mike

In keeping with the Outdoor Code, "...be conservation minded."

Many of the eco-systems in the Keys and nearby Caribbean islands are very fragile. Particularly coral reefs. One thing we do as scouters is tell kids to use plenty of sunblock when they're out on the water. Yet most of the sunscreen brands we buy at Wal-Mart contain coral-killing chemicals that aren't appropriate for places like Sea Base (or Hawaii, or Cozumel, or the Virgin Islands, or etc. etc.)

Sea Base staff know this and can advise you on acceptable (or unacceptable) brands, or you can find them online. 

Yep - read about that and that 16oz per person is too much for most it seems.

Some specific questions:

1. Field Uniform (Class A) or activity uniform (Class C) for Flags and arrival?
  2. Scout t-shirt (either troop or sea-base, etc.) on the afternoon in Key West, or not?
  3. Best dive booties for those that don't have any and might not use them again?
  4. What have you done to encourage scouts and advisors to "unplug"?
  5. Worth it to bring own dry bag  or just use one provided?

Thanks!
Mike

Troop 1998

30 minutes ago, xj-boonie said:

Some specific questions:

2. Scout t-shirt (either troop or sea-base, etc.) on the afternoon in Key West, or not?
  3. Best dive booties for those that don't have any and might not use them again?

1. If by field uniform, you mean nice floral print tropical shirts with matching hats and Bermuda shorts, then yes, that's what they'll expect you to wear for flags and arrival. :D Generally, while navigating airports, etc ... I find being in uniform to come in quite handy. Otherwise, don't count on needing it for the rest of the week.

2. Definitely scout t-shirt in Key-West. It's nice to have something that will help you spot your boys. Personally I found it really handy to rent a bike for the day. Also, if you don't look like you've just hopped off of a cruise liner, the artsy gift shops might put out lower price tags.

3. I never used dive booties. So, I can't help you there.

4. Learn kettle drum, and sing, "Don't worry, be happy, every little little thing's gonna be alright ..."  More seriously, if you are doing patrol method properly, with patrol sites 100 yards from your adults and the nearest patrol, then this wont be an issue. If your adults have been running herd over the youth, then expect this to be a problem that won't easily be fixed.

5. What you brings of your own depends on how much you want to pay the airline.

45 minutes ago, xj-boonie said:

Some specific questions:

Thanks!
Mike

Troop 1998

Let me find my trip report here from our coral reef sailing adventure this summer.

1. Seabase is super low key.  We wore Class A travelling.  Flags were not in field uniforms.  like I said, low key.  open toed shoes ok for example.
  2. yes dry-fit shirts pretty much all the time.  long sleeve ones are good to protect from the sun
  3. We didn't dive, so no input on that.
  4. more social game time.  it is so chill, it took a few days.
  5. just use their stuff, it is pretty decent.  but we were sailing mostly.

Your adventure will be very different from ours since you'll be staying in the dorms.  Only our first and last nights were in the dorms, the rest were on the sailboat.

The first night, the a/c was cranked in the dorm.  That might have been because it was broken when we arrived and they over compensated when it was fixed.  We only brought sleeping bag liners and were rather chilly that night. 

Bring earplugs. In a large room like that, you'll have some loud snoring.

Have fun!