Omaha Tribe Elder and Others - disrepect at National Mall

Might be kind for Scouts to send notes of appreciation  to Elder Nathan Philips.  Let him know those youth are not representative of  American youth. 

https://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/omaha-tribe-member-in-spotlight-in-face-of-taunting-teens/article_475ee455-cf4c-510a-a9a1-2d29b25eb0f2.html

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

David, you and I have often disagreed in the past but in this I think you are absolutely spot on.   There are a number of different vids of this on line. Some 20 minutes long some only 2 or 3.  If you

Because it would make great news if something happens. I don't know these boy but I think they did a great job at handling the situation, they did some high school spirit chants to the drum beat,

I have been to pro-life activities with teens. This is exactly what they are taught to do when confronted by hostile and aggressive opponents.  Smile. Say nothing. Do nothing. Just hold your ground an

8 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Might be kind for Scouts to send notes of appreciation  to Elder Nathan Philips.  Let him know those youth are not representative of  American youth. 

https://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/omaha-tribe-member-in-spotlight-in-face-of-taunting-teens/article_475ee455-cf4c-510a-a9a1-2d29b25eb0f2.html

My $0.02

It is my understanding that the boy in the video did not approach Nathan Philips, but was just holding his ground. Philips was the one who got in the boy's face. Philips apparently didn't like the boy's hat.

Philips had previously held protests outside of the Trump hotel. He is no fan of Donald Trump or of the President's supporters.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, shortridge said:

What’s that have to do with anything?

It has everything to do with Philip's motivation for getting into the boy's face. He didn't like the fact that the boy supported the President and/or the President's policies.

This looks to me like creative video editing by liberal journalists. They deliberately left out the beginning where Philips approached the boys (in order to make it look like Philips was an innocent victim of unruly Trump supporters).

Edited by David CO
9 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

My $0.02

Maybe the Omaha Tribe should send out a letter of apology to let us know that Philips is not representative of most members of their Tribe. A better title for this thread might have been, Omaha Tribe elder harasses youth visiting the Washington Memorial.

• Thanks 3
34 minutes ago, David CO said:

This looks to me like creative video editing by liberal journalists. They deliberately left out the beginning where Philips approached the boys (in order to make it look like Philips was an innocent victim of unruly Trump supporters).

David, you and I have often disagreed in the past but in this I think you are absolutely spot on.   There are a number of different vids of this on line. Some 20 minutes long some only 2 or 3.  If you piece them together there is over 30 minutes of coverage.     We all need to see as much of the entire picture as possible before passing judgement.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
24 minutes ago, David CO said:

Maybe the Omaha Tribe should send out a letter of apology to let us know that Philips is not representative of most members of their Tribe. A better title for this thread might have been, Omaha Tribe elder harasses youth visiting the Washington Memorial.

Maybe. I have  now looked at a couple other videos of the incident. and  who did what when is becoming less clear.  Apparently there were  more than two groups protesting/representing different causes.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

And other than pointing out that some of the basic ideals of Scouting might be helpful, possibly on both sides of this contentious encounter, what is our reason for it being here?  It is becoming a bit more likely that there was some attitude by both the kids and the elder and that calmer heads were not stepping in when they likely should.  The look on the teen's face was disrespectful for sure, IMO, but could the native group have deviated slightly from the other protest?  Could the pro-life group have let the indigenous group pass through?  Probably yes on both counts, but for whatever reason, it turned into a poor display of civility by both groups and specific parties.  And now back to trying to help build our youth into better and more respectful citizens.  🙉🙈🙊

1 minute ago, skeptic said:

The look on the teen's face was disrespectful for sure, IMO

I have been to pro-life activities with teens. This is exactly what they are taught to do when confronted by hostile and aggressive opponents.  Smile. Say nothing. Do nothing. Just hold your ground and say/do nothing until the police arrive. 

The boy might not have intended any disrespect. His so-called "smirk" might have simply been his attempt to smile (as instructed) while being faced with a very uncomfortable situation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I spent about two hours watching today as one vid after the other popped up.  I was forced to revise my opinion several times.   As I see it now  ( and this may change)  

1  There were some teens from a all male Catholic school waiting for their bus near the Lincoln Memorial.

2  A small group of male adults calling themselves " the tribe of Israel"  started calling the teens names.   As this is a BSA forum I can't type them all here.   Dirty, cracker, inbred, sons of Klansmen, were some of the politest ones.   ( Disclaimer here, I have actually met some of this crazed bunch in DC before.  they  loudly informed me that I was a white blue eyed devil, a spawn of Cain, destined for hellfire.  Not some one I want to have a drink with, btw they think they are jews although they seem to mostly from Jamaica   Lost tribes maybe?)

3 The boys started some high school cheers in rebuttal.  Then Philips moved in between the two groups singing and drumming.  He later said he wished to defuse the situation.

4 Philips moved right up to the teens (in the hope they would back up?)  but the boys stayed put. The one closest to him just smiled.  (My guess is he had no idea what he was supposed to do) Philips continued drumming and singing face to face for several minutes.  Some of the boys seemed to be trying to sing along for a few seconds.    Others started up another high school cheer.  

5 Philips ended his song,  one of the "tribe of Israel"  started in again warning one black student that his fellow classmates would kill him for his organs.  The boys responded with laughter rather than anger 

Edited by Oldscout448

This incident strikes close to home, as I live in that area, and I know some folks from Covington Catholic. Not sure I know any of the youth involved. As has been said, there are a lot of different interpretations one can draw from the various video's floating around based on which cut you watch. Most folks are going to sort into whichever camp supports their "tribe." 

For a lot of folks in my area the original headlines were pretty easy to take at face value, we've had some racially charged incidents across the Northern Kentucky/South Western Ohio region make the news over the last couple years. After watching some of the videos I'm not sure it's as clear cut as the headlines make it out to be. But as a Republican Catholic from the same area as the youth in question, I'm not sure I'm the most impartial arbiter of the truth in this situation. 

Other thoughts, if you're an activist of any stripe, why approach a bunch of teenagers? What were they expecting to accomplish? Where were the chaperones?  Where was a law enforcement which normally makes sure various demonstrations and counter demonstrations don't overlap? 

Going a bit deeper in my own opinions, I'm a little disappointed to see all the MAGA hats at the March for Life. For those of us in the Pro Life camp, we've got to continue to win hearts and minds of folks that don't agree with us currently, and I can't think of any accessory that would close off opposing hearts and minds quite like a MAGA hat. 

8 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

Philips ended his song,  one of the "tribe of Israel"  started in again warning one black student that his fellow classmates would kill him for his organs.  The boys responded with laughter rather than anger 

Yes. My impression is that the boys were laughing at the ridiculous comments being made by the members of "the tribe of Israel."  Not at Philips, as the journalists first reported. 

11 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

Other thoughts, if you're an activist of any stripe, why approach a bunch of teenagers?

Because it would make great news if something happens.

I don't know these boy but I think they did a great job at handling the situation, they did some high school spirit chants to the drum beat, they didnt show anger and they arent looking for a lawsuit. There is nothing wrong with showing support for any president and the first amendment provides this freedom. I saw nothing but peace and patience from these boys and only saw provocavation from the indians.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Not sure how this thread is relevant to the forum, even in the issues/politics category. Mods, please correct me if I am off-base, but I thought the I/P forums still needed "some relevance" to the general scouting theme.

• Thanks 1