Scouts BSA Girls’ Uniform +

Just now, desertrat77 said:

I think National missed the boat/canoe/paddleboard on the handbook for girls.

If we're going coed, why have two gender specific handbooks?

Because they have taken great pains to note and emphasize that it’s not a coed program. Troops are separate. 

Just now, shortridge said:

Because they have taken great pains to note and emphasize that it’s not a coed program. Troops are separate. 

True.  But two handbooks?  Aside from images, are the handbooks that different?  Seems like a lot of heavy lifting on National's part to field two handbooks when one would suffice.

24 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

True.  But two handbooks?  Aside from images, are the handbooks that different?  Seems like a lot of heavy lifting on National's part to field two handbooks when one would suffice.

Covered in other threads, but based upon some input I have heard, the difference include images of girls, pronoun updates, some minor requirement changes (family life.. you probably ask a girl about being a mother) and hygiene.  Rumors only as I haven’t seen the inside of the book yet.

I’m sure they could have created one, but given how they are rolling this out it makes sense to release separate books.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

Not bad.  Every female leader I ever knew to comment on it, universally decried the cut and shape of female leader uniforms.  I hope these are better designed in that aspect.

100% agree.  Though one of my female leaders joked that female Boy Scout leader uniforms are the only “small” size clothing she can fit into.... so that was a positive.

1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

I think girls here will just wear recycled Boy Scouts of America  (over right pocket) shirts. 

I hope they come out with patches to sew over your existing uniform brand strip.

Would be nice to have a matching labeled uniform for men to wear as leaders

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Covered in other threads, but based upon some input I have heard, the difference include images of girls, pronoun updates, some minor requirement changes (family life.. you probably ask a girl about being a mother) and hygiene.  Rumors only as I haven’t seen the inside of the book yet.

I’m sure they could have created one, but given how they are rolling this out it makes sense to release separate books.

Maybe I'm missing the boat myself, but these minor differences between the two books seem like trifles.

For most humans, life is coed. 

Why would the BSA put uniquely female discussions about motherhood in a handbook?  I don't recall such discussions from the male perspective in past handbooks. 

The more I read, the more I think the BSA put itself through a number of unnecessary organizational twists to launch this whole thing.

1 minute ago, desertrat77 said:

Maybe I'm missing the boat myself, but these minor differences between the two books seem like trifles.

For most humans, life is coed. 

Why would the BSA put uniquely female discussions about motherhood in a handbook?  I don't recall such discussions from the male perspective in past handbooks. 

The more I read, the more I think the BSA put itself through a number of unnecessary organizational twists to launch this whole thing.

Family Life Merit Badge has a requirement about talking what makes an effective father and why.

I think the separate gender Troops won’t be followed fully and is doomed to fail, but that was BSA’s decision so separate books   align with that bad call.  They are being consistent..

• Upvote 2
42 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

I hope they come out with patches to sew over your existing uniform brand strip.

Would be nice to have a matching labeled uniform for men to wear as leaders

I agree. I’m going to be checking into embroidery shops / tailors who might be able to copy that and customize.

Edited by shortridge

Did anyone catch the "updated requirements for 2019?" 

Has anyone heard they changed requirements yet again ( 2015, 2016, 2018.)? Interested because my oldest is 2 Eagle required MBs away, and a project. don't want any last minute changes affecting him. He's already been through enough with the old troop. Doesn't need any more garbage

4 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Did anyone catch the "updated requirements for 2019?" 

Has anyone heard they changed requirements yet again ( 2015, 2016, 2018.)? Interested because my oldest is 2 Eagle required MBs away, and a project. don't want any last minute changes affecting him. He's already been through enough with the old troop. Doesn't need any more garbage

Are these changes online/available somewhere?

Given my tendency to jump to conclusions, I called my 20 year old Venture Daughter and asked her thoughts on the subject.  Also sent her the pdf that @Eagle1993supplied for us.

Two different handbooks:  "Kind of odd, but having two is fine."

The pdf with new stuff:  "I'm not into fashion but hey, didn't seem all that bad."

• Like 1