Scouts With Diabetes at Philmont

We have 1 scout with diabetes.  His dad is an ASM and will be coming with us. His dad read through Philmont's literature and it's clear diabetes does not prevent a scout from participating (with certain criteria that our scout meets).  He's going to contact Philmont, but I just wanted to ask if others have experience.

The biggest question is getting ice to keep the insulin cold. I'm assuming they provide it at staffed camps, so as long as we don't have a long gap between staffed camps, we'd be OK.  The little cooler he has is like a Thermos and can go 2-3 days while keeping the insulin cold enough.

Thanks!

I assume you've seen this, which describes what you state, that "Insulin can be carried in a small thermos, which can be resupplied with ice or cold water at most staffed camps."

Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus

Exercise and the type of food eaten affect insulin requirements. Any individual with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus should be able to monitor personal blood glucose and know how to adjust insulin doses based on these factors. The diabetic person also should know how to give a self-injection. Both the diabetic person and one other person in the group should be able to recognize indications of excessively high blood sugar (hyperglycemia or diabetic ketoacidosis) and to recognize indications of excessively low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). The diabetic person and one other individual should know the appropriate initial responses for these conditions. It is recommended that the diabetic person and one other individual carry insulin on the trek (in case of accident) and that a third vial be kept at the Health Lodge for backup. Insulin can be carried in a small thermos, which can be resupplied with ice or cold water at most staffed camps.

An insulin-dependent diabetic who has been newly diagnosed (within the past six months) or who has undergone a change in delivery system (e.g., insulin pump) in the past six months should not attempt to participate in the strenuous activities encountered at Philmont. A diabetic person who has had frequent hospitalizations for diabetic ketoacidosis or who has had frequent problems with hypoglycemia should not participate in a trek at Philmont until better control of the diabetes has been achieved. Call Philmont at 575-376-2281 to obtain permission from the chief medical officer for individuals hospitalized within the past year.

• Upvote 1

I must have read that a while back, and now it's sounding familiar.  I'm a little concerned about "most" staffed camps.  This will affect our itinerary selection.

Our scout uses an insulin pump that also monitors his levels.  It connects via Bluetooth to his phone and his dad's phone so they always know his status.

Because his dad needs to be able to get to him in the middle of the night at times if his levels are off, the scout tents by himself.  He obviously could tent with his dad, too.  This avoids bothering another scout and YPT issues.