Home work:   Scouting is for kids kindergarten thru age 21.  We are entering a "new age", and the gender neutral thing is important...…  Older kids are "Venture Scouts"  Younger ones are "Cub Scouts".  What do we call the middle range kids?   Can't be just "Boy Scouts",  "Girl Scouts" is copyrighted and has a special connotation.  ?  Senior Scouts?  Troopers? Hikers?   I am open to ideas, and I think the remnants of the BSA should be too ! 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do we really need to revisit the topic of the highly manipulative surveys that were selectively distributed and strangely worded to ensure a pre-determined outcome? Please don't insult the intell

Sad to learn that because it means National lost the understanding of the structure for developing moral and ethical decision makers. Leadership is but one of many actions that develops a scout's char

Posted Images

I agree it does few a little odd to advance from one term with a qualifier (cub) to a term without one, and then potentially to another term that adds the qualifier back on.

That being stated, there has been a long history of the military doing something very similar (and I always thought that was odd too).

This is most apparent in the Navy where you have LT Junior Grade, followed by just LT, followed by LT Commander, followed by just Commander. Also, Vice Admiral, Admiral, Fleet Admiral.

I don't have a good recommended solution. Perhaps in keeping with some of the other formats of naming conventions, one should move from cub to scouts, to scouts "something" or just "Venturer" (which is rather awkward to enunciate.)  I'd call for Venturing and Venturers to be renamed Pathfinders but that would probably face its own copyright challenges from the Seventh-day Adventist. Great name for a youth org.

Packers?  Troopers?   Crewers?  

Greenbay commenters...   Starship.....   blue jeans?   

Bob Scouts (after Robert Baden-Powell?) . ..

My problem is "SCOUTS" is what we all are,  age 6 thru 76 . . .   I can be an Adult Scouter,  my son can be (was, is) an Eagle Scout,  but what do I say at the Campfire, I always yelled "Hey Scouts !"  and will continue to do so , but what kind of  is that 13 year old standing in front of me?   The Wolf Scout is a "CUB". The green shirted young woman is a "VENTURER".   Is the kid kneeling in front of the fire pit , diligently striking that flint against the steel just a "SCOUT"? 

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Older kids are "Venture Scouts"  Younger ones are "Cub Scouts".  What do we call the middle range kids?   Can't be just "Boy Scouts",  "Girl Scouts" is copyrighted and has a special connotation.  ?  Senior Scouts?  Troopers? Hikers?   I am open to ideas, and I think the remnants of the BSA should be too ! 

Actually the older kids are VENTURERS, not Venture Scouts. Venture Scouts was the term used for members of the older Scout patrol, called a venture crew from August 1, 1989 to July 31, 1998, and venture patrol from August 1, 1998 until some time in the mid to late 2000s.

Designations for youth are the following:

CUB SCOUTS and their subsets LIONS, TIGERS, WOLVES, BEARS, WEBELOS and some say ARROW OF LIGHTS

SCOUTS both males and females

SEA SCOUTS

VENTURERS

and if Exploring is now under traditional Scouting, then EXPLORERS.

Do STEM Scouts still exist?

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, SSScout said:

..  Is the kid kneeling in front of the fire pit , diligently striking that flint against the steel just a "SCOUT"? 

If the kid is trustworthy, helpful, ..., clean, and reverent he/she is likely a just scout!

P.S. - My exchange student a couple years ago was completely baffled by (among many things) the term "scouter". She replied indignantly, "Once a scout, always a scout!"

2 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Actually the older kids are VENTURERS, not Venture Scouts. Venture Scouts was the term used for members of the older Scout patrol, called a venture crew from August 1, 1989 to July 31, 1998, and venture patrol from August 1, 1998 until some time in the mid to late 2000s....

Lesson in failed branding: Numerous scouts (adults and youth) have balked at the term Venturers. Daughter complained that something grated about the "er-er" sound on the end of that word.

I have come to agree with them. I would have rather them be called Venture Scouts, then I could be a Venturemaster! :D

• Upvote 1

This is all covered, though somewhat imperfectly, in the BSA’s FAQ:

——

Q: What will the members of the program be called?
Just as today, they will be called Scouts. For example, “I’m in Scouts BSA, so I am a Scout.”

——

I think we’re just going to have to get used to calling groups of Cubs “Cubs,” not Cub Scouts. That’s manageable and reasonable.

Edited by shortridge

We can choose to make it difficult, or we can choose to call them generally Scouts and make secondary references as we feel fit, trying to not somehow get thrown into the PC and litigation conflagrations. They are our temporary wards under the auspices of the BSA, which is now SCOUTS BSA.  Those that cannot deal with minor variants and still run with the program need to find a solution.  Whatever they are called, if we are doing what we hopefully are, they will be offered the best program we, and our local group are able to do.  We could get into some of the psych terms for this type of focus, but it is really not necessary, or at least I hope not.

30 minutes ago, qwazse said:

If the kid is trustworthy, helpful, ..., clean, and reverent he/she is likely a just scout!

P.S. - My exchange student a couple years ago was completely baffled by (among many things) the term "scouter". She replied indignantly, "Once a scout, always a scout!"

Lesson in failed branding: Numerous scouts (adults and youth) have balked at the term Venturers. Daughter complained that something grated about the "er-er" sound on the end of that word.

I have come to agree with them. I would have rather them be called Venture Scouts, then I could be a Venturemaster! :D

Agree completely. Heck I even told the then national Venturing director in May 1998 that having a new program with a similar name to an existing one AND using the same unit designation for the new program that is in use for the existing program is a major mistake.

1 hour ago, SSScout said:

What do we call the middle range kids?   

Be reminded if you do call and your are a leader, to make sure it is a conference call with another registered and YPT trained leader so as to be compliant with current GTSS. Also subnote A, if the middle range kid is in fact a youth who is currently identifying as female gender and you as a leader do not currently identify as female gender you will need to include a registered and YPT trained leader who does currently identify as female gender

Gotta be safe......

• Confused 1

I was thinking about this too, as I make the program for our Crossover celebration. I'll list all my Webelos IIs as earning AoL, but how do I word it for the Scouts crossing to a troop? Congratulations, Scouts, now you are Scouts?

I think I will just call them Boy Scouts. They are boys, they are Scouts, in an organization called BSA (Boy Scouts of America). If the people getting paid couldn't come up with something better, how can anyone expect a lowly volunteer to?

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Sniktaw said:

I think I will just call them Boy Scouts.

That would probably also work fine for any fifth grade girls crossing over from cubs to scouts this year also, and maybe for a few years.   Everyone currently knows the old name "Boy Scout" much better than the new name "Scouts BSA",  even the new girls.

• Upvote 1
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:22 AM, skeptic said:

We can choose to make it difficult, or we can choose to call them generally Scouts and make secondary references as we feel fit, trying to not somehow get thrown into the PC and litigation conflagrations. They are our temporary wards under the auspices of the BSA, which is now SCOUTS BSA....

Not to quibble, but it is still "Boy Scouts" until the end of the month.  I know that seems like semantics, but it is an important distinction to a small number of highly interested Boy Scouts, one of whom is my youngest son.  See, last year when all of this began, it lit a fire under him and his classmates.  All of them decided that they wanted no part in any of it.  They came to me and asked if we would help them get out under the wire.  Now, my son is the second oldest in the group and turns 18 in April anyway.  So he was already going to need to get in gear during this time, but the rest of his class of juniors (there are eight of them in his group still in scouts) all became highly motivated, even though some of them still have a year.

They all worked hard and wrapped up their merit badges.  We helped them navigate the Eagle process and they all sat for their initial BORs in November or December.  They spent Christmas break helping each other with their Eagle projects, which are all solid projects mind you.  No weak sister projects in the bunch.  five of them, including my son, will sit for their final Eagle Scout BOR next Tuesday night.

These boys are the core leadership of our Troop.  they are all good scouts , excuse me, Boy Scouts.  They grumble sometimes, like most boys, but they all like being scouts and camping together.  They would have stayed in longer, but they all decided that they came into this and have worked all these years as Boy Scouts and that they deserved the right to go out as Boy Scouts.  I don't blame them one iota.  I could not be prouder of my son for earning Eagle, but I am also proud of the way he and his buddies decided to overcome this issue.

9 minutes ago, Monkeytamer said:

We helped them navigate the Eagle process and they all sat for their initial BORs in November or December. 

What the devil is this addition to the requirements of “an initial board of review”?  You do have a copy of the Guide to Advancement, yes?

On 1/10/2019 at 8:38 AM, SSScout said:

Home work:   Scouting is for kids kindergarten thru age 21.  We are entering a "new age", and the gender neutral thing is important...…  Older kids are "Venture Scouts"  Younger ones are "Cub Scouts".  What do we call the middle range kids?   Can't be just "Boy Scouts",  "Girl Scouts" is copyrighted and has a special connotation.  ?  Senior Scouts?  Troopers? Hikers?   I am open to ideas, and I think the remnants of the BSA should be too ! 

Did you post this on bookface in the WB group?

52 minutes ago, Monkeytamer said:

they all decided that they came into this and have worked all these years as Boy Scouts and that they deserved the right to go out as Boy Scouts.  I don't blame them one iota.  I could not be prouder of my son for earning Eagle, but I am also proud of the way he and his buddies decided to overcome this issue.

If you feel you can speak for them - why did they feel this way? Why do they see a girls’ troop as an issue to overcome? What impact did they see a girls’ troop having on their Scouting experience?