Has Anyone Done Recent Cub Scout Training?

I admit it's been 8 years since I last taught a Cub Scout Training course. Closest I've been to CS training is doing the February through June 2015 Roundtables which went over the 2015 Cub Scout program changes. With online training. and lack of a training chairman, we have not had CS leader training in some time. So I have no idea on the new training.

So this is for the folks who have done it recently: How Long did it take and did it actually help?

For those who have taken older courses and the new ones: is there anything missing from the new courses?

I ask because on one of the FB groups I'm in, I see all kinds of basic questions that should have been answered in training and just reading the leader books.

I did the online training about 1.5 years ago. It was of mixed utility. I know that they also just rolled out a new training course (as in this week) for the online stuff. Not sure if the in person stuff is the same.

As for leaders not knowing stuff, first, its possible that they didn't do the training. Getting our leaders trained is a pain in the butt. Second, at least with the old training, what I found was that it was hard to figure out what was important vs meaningless and a fair amount of the info is spread out everywhere. Or the info isn't current with the new rules or whatever.

Looking at the new training, it looks more straighforward and usable.

Our pack does not have instructor led training. In Fall 2018 I completed everything online and this took about 6-8 hours split up over a week. I found it a bit tedious in online format, but it worked. I learned quite a bit, including recognizing all of the things the previous den leader did not do (like wear a uniform) and the things our pack does differently than is suggested by training. I then attended BALOO which was maybe 10 hours of instruction and an overnight camp-out at the council camp. I learned a little more about the background behind Leave No Trace and got a lot out of campfire program planning. We also made and cooked the foil packet dinners as a practical demonstration of one of the simple ways to help the kids cook. Out of 10 hours, I think 3 or 4 hours I found useful. The rest was refresher of things I was very familiar with already. I am signed up for "University of Scouting" this spring which is a council led all-day training at the local college. The topics seem interesting and I am looking forward to it (Dutch Oven Cooking, Den Chiefs, Outdoor Program Planning, etc.). 

45 minutes ago, malraux said:

It appears to be working for me. According to the initial presentation, the time involved is 45 minutes + 40 minutes +40 minutes. So right at 2 hours. No idea yet how comprehensive the material is.

Thanks.  I'll try again.  Hmmm.....

Just tried ....   Errors out.  Different than it error an hour ago.  But still errors out.  BSA must be working on security and other upgrades.

Here is what I did.

https://my.scouting.org/dashboard-legacy
--->  My Training
--->  ---> Training Center
--->  ---> Cub Scouting (click the ">")

I am re-directed to BSA LMS Logon 
        https://my.scouting.org/vim2/unifiedlogon/userservice/proxy.aspx?
                Method=UserLogon&PageCode=MobileTaleoSSO&ReturnCompleteURI=....

I enter my username and password for mys.scouting.org.   I was getting a different error for the last few days.  Now I get this.  

Error 500--Internal Server Error
         From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:
         10.5.1 500 Internal Server Error
         The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

Edited by fred8033
34 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

Thanks.  I'll try again.  Hmmm.....

Just tried ....   Errors out.  Different than it error an hour ago.  But still errors out.  BSA must be working on security and other upgrades.

Here is what I did.

https://my.scouting.org/dashboard-legacy
--->  My Training
--->  ---> Training Center
--->  ---> Cub Scouting (click the ">")

I am re-directed to BSA LMS Logon 
        https://my.scouting.org/vim2/unifiedlogon/userservice/proxy.aspx?
                Method=UserLogon&PageCode=MobileTaleoSSO&ReturnCompleteURI=....

I enter my username and password for mys.scouting.org.   I was getting a different error for the last few days.  Now I get this.  

Error 500--Internal Server Error
         From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:
         10.5.1 500 Internal Server Error
         The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

Just gave it a try and got the following error message:

Requests to the server have been blocked by an extension.

This is at work, on a school computer, so could have something to do with our network.  I will look at it again when I get home.  I did a number of the new Scouts BSA segments earlier in the week, but with all the updates they are pushing out, I would not be surprised if there are issues.

• Upvote 1