USCG MARINE SAFETY OFFICES!!

I have an entire unit that is nearing the age for this and now I am fairly alarmed. I don't expect mishaps but I do expect adequate protection in that case. Marinelaw, what do you see as a solution? Perhaps seek an alternative commercial charter?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foto, I think I plainly acknowledged that who the boat belongs to is of little consequence to the safety of the passengers. I was trying to clarify who it is that is leagally responsible for meeting the USCG regulations.

Marinelaw began by attacking the BSA but then said that they are not the BSA boats or crews. I think it would important for him to explain which it is, and who has actually violated the rules, and which specific rules.

Most impotantly, I would like to know from marinelaw, if once the proper authorities notified the BSA were the needed corrections made?

Sorry this did not seem to post the whole msg.

BW read the rest of the posts. The boats are chartered by the BSA and sublet to the crews they bring in. When the CG went in to stop it, it halted immediately crews were removed form boats in transit and vessels returned as well. They hired stand in boats to cover the additional pass(This message has been edited by marinelaw)

BW read the rest of the posts. The boats are chartered by the BSA and sublet to the crews they bring in. When the CG went in to stop it, it halted immediately crews were removed form boats in transit and vessels returned as well. They hired stand in boats to cover the additional passengers by complying to the 6 max rule. This accordi(This message has been edited by marinelaw)

Marinelaw, are you saying that BSA is acting as a broker for these vessels? If so are they contracted as bareboat charters or otherwise?

As for the Jones Act....I may be wrong here, but to my knowledge the Jones Act would not apply because 1), these vessel were not constructed with US Govt funds, and 2) these are chartered for recreational use vessels not engaged in cargo operations.

Folks, I've gotta tell ya that something smells fishy (pardon the pun) here! If the captains of the boats were caught exceeding the limitations of their licenses, the Coast Guard would have pulled the captains license(s) immediately. No ifs, ands, or, buts. If the license says 6 passengers for hire and you have 7 passengers on the boat, you lose your license. The Coast Guard takes it away, and you go to hearing and pay a fine before it gets returned.

So if the CG has gotten in the middle of this, then how is it that the boats can continue to sail with the captain in violation of his license?

I'm finding these posts hard to follow, but it appears that marinelaw is a boat operator who became angered when he discovered that apparently Sea Base is operating boats in a manner that he and others are not allowed to do. It's not clear to me that he's claiming that Sea Base is currently violating any law--if they are, why isn't the Coast Guard doing something about it? He's going to have to present the facts a little more clearly before I would feel justified in being alarmed about it.

I actually posted this in another location but will repeat as best I can here.

I am going to Seabase in 5 days. Marinelaw had me concerned.

I called the USCG station in Miami and found out the facts.

A new law went into affect in 1994 dealing with charter boats. Because the law did not apply directly to what seabase was doing, a letter was written and agreed to by both parties defining what was allowed.

That agreement recently expired.

The USCG and Seabase have got together and a new agreement was signed within the past few weeks.

It allows Seabase to operate with 8 passengers and 1 pilot.

Sorry marinelaw but I think you are beating a dead horse.

According to the USCG in Miami, seabase is operating within the law.

Why is the BSA allowed to operate at an 8:1 ratio, while other charters must operate at 6:1? If 6 is the standard set due to safety (amongst I'm sure other factors), why increase it to 8 for the BSA?

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but Marinelaw's posting do have me curious.

Regards,

--Gags