There isn't a line of succession proscribed by the BSA.  In theory, the chartered organization is supposed to appoint a new one.  Practically, if you don't have a Committee Chair, then someone needs to step up and take it on. 

However, as the Committee Chair is the volunteer who organizes and supervises all the other volunteers, it's an important role.  Another key role of the CC is to work with the SM and Committee to set the overall direction for the troop.  Ideally, you want an experienced Scouter and good leader in the role.  I'd look to promote one of your strong committee members or ASMs.

Edited by ParkMan
extended one more thought

Selecting and approving adult leadership is the responsibility of your Chartering Organization.  If there are no volunteers interested, your CO should set up a search committee.  I would imagine your Chartered Organization Representative would run the committee until a new Chairman is found.

"The work is done by whoever shows up".   

I hope you have good communication with all the adults in the unit and in the CO (that would be very nice!).

I also hope your stepping down CCh  was able to give you some forewarning.  The COR, indeed , has some responsibility implied in this, as he/she must approve, "sign off" on the new CCh.

Scouting chugs along, sometimes with no "offishul" leadership. I see you are A CUB person. Yep, you need a CCh, and a good Committee to help your Cubs along.    The Senior Scouts sometimes do better WITHOUT it ! 😀

Edited by SSScout
4 hours ago, Scoutmom707 said:

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find in writing who is supposed to step up if there is no one to replace a committee chair who is leaving after 6 years? 

There is the ideal and what often happens.  Ideally, the existing troop leaders focus on developing new volunteers who can step up in the future.  Often, key people need to leave and create an empty position before new volunteers step up.  

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, scoutldr said:

I would imagine your Chartered Organization Representative would run the committee until a new Chairman is found.

This is my thought as well.  The COR is about the only adult allowed to hold two positions in a single unit and ultimately responsible for approving adult leaders.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:34 PM, Scoutmom707 said:

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find in writing who is supposed to step up if there is no one to replace a committee chair who is leaving after 6 years?

Thanks in advance

Whoever the COR wants to be CC.